LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- The Covenant men's and women's cross country teams are set to compete in the NCAA South/Southeast Region meets on Saturday at the Clara Bowl on the campus of Berry College.
The women's 6k race begins at 11 a.m. followed by the men's 8k race at 12:15 p.m. The awards ceremony is set for 1:15 p.m.
- This will be the second time that the Covenant teams have run at the Clara Bowl this year. The teams had strong finishes on the same course on Oct. 13 in the Berry Invitational as both placed sixth overall. Caleb Aikens led the men with a time of 26:29.15 to finish 23rd, while Lilly Smith set the pace for the women at 23:11.01 and 10th overall.
- In last year's region meet, both teams produced record-breaking finishes. The men were 12th in the field led by Aikens and his near-program record time of 25:56. The women were also 12th as Smith finished 47th with a time of 23:06.
- The women will go out of starting box 18, while the men will start from box 17.
- Saturday will mark the sixth appearance in the NCAA South/Southeast Region meet for the Covenant programs. Below are program records in the region meet.
- Top Covenant women's team finish: 12th (2017)
- Top Covenant women's time: 23:06 (Lilly Smith, 2017)
- Top Covenant women's individual finish: 42nd (Beth Burgess, 2013)
- Top Covenant men's team finish: 12th (2017)
- Top Covenant men's time: 25:56 (Caleb Aikens, 2017)
- Top Covenant men's individual finish: 34th (Eliot Kaufmann, 2014)
LAST TIME OUT:
Both Covenant teams placed second at the USA South Championships on Oct. 26. Smith led the women with her second place finish and time of 23:10.53 as she collected USA South Runner of the Year honors for a second consecutive season. Nate Collins was the top finisher for the men as he placed fifth overall with a time of 27:22.93.
Covenant had a program-record seven women's runners earn All-USA South honors, while the men's team also had a program-best six runners earn All-USA South accolades for their efforts in the conference meet.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here