The 2019-20 season was John Hirte's eighth as head coach of the men's and women's tennis teams at Covenant College.
In May of 2017, Hirte was promoted to Assistant Director of Athletics in addition to his coaching duties. In his assistant AD role, Hirte oversees compliance and indoor athletic facilities along with other duties.
- Years at Covenant: 8 (2012-present)
- Overall record (men and women): 138-149 (.481)
- Men's overall record: 56-80 (.412)
- Men's conference record: 34-23 (.596)
- Women's overall record: 82-69 (.543)
- Women's conference record: 49-18 (.731)
- Men's conference regular season titles: 2 (2017, 2018 - USA South West Division)
- Women's conference regular season titles: 1 (2017 - USA South West Division)
- Two-time USA South Men's Tennis Coach of the Year (2015, 2017)
- USA South Women's Tennis Coach of the Year (2016)
MEN'S PROGRAM ACCOLADES
- 1 USA South Player of the Year (Matthew Harvie, 2016)
- 8 All-USA South honorees (6 first team selections)
- 6 All-USA South West Division choices
- 8 USA South Players of the Week selections
- 21 USA South All-Academic honorees (through 2018-19)
- 4 USA South Team Sportsmanship Awards
- 4 weeks in ITA Region rankings (2018)
- 9 weeks in ITA Region individual rankings (Matthew Harvie, 2016-18)
WOMEN'S PROGRAM ACCOLADES
- 9 All-USA South honorees (3 first team selections)
- 7 All-USA South West Division choices
- 8 USA South Players of the Week selections
- 33 USA South All-Academic honorees (through 2018-19)
- 5 weeks in ITA Region rankings (2016, 2017)
- 1 week in NCAA Region rankings (2016)
- 19-match USA South regular season win streak (Feb. 27, 2016-March23, 2018)
The 2016-17 season was a banner year for both programs as the men and women collected regular season USA South West Division titles. The women finished 7-0 in league play to win the division outright and were the runner-up in the USA South Tournament. The men finished 7-1 in league play to share the title but earned the No. 1 seed from the division in the USA South Tournament. The men's team set a program record with 12 victories during the year. Hirte was named USA South Coach of the Year on the men's side, while two players on the men's team earned All-USA South with three women's players collecting honors. The men's team also won the USA South Team Sportsmanship Award for the second time in program history.
The success continued in the 2017-18 season. On the men's side, Hirte's squad collected a new program record 15 wins and clinched a second consecutive USA South West Division title. The team garnered a region ranking from the ITA for the first time and went as high as 17th in the poll.
In 2015-16, Hirte's women's team went 15-6, including an 11-1 mark in the USA South, and was regionally ranked for the first time. The 15 wins were the second-most in program history and the .714 winning percentage was a program record. In the same year on the men's side, Hirte's No. 1 player Matthew Harvie earned a region ranking for the first time and was selected as the USA South Player of the Year.
In his second year of guiding the Covenant programs, he led the women's team to a program record 16 victories and an appearance in the USA South tournament semifinals. Hirte's women's team had two USA South All-Conference performers. On the men's side, Hirte's team snapped a long losing streak as they continued to show vast improvement.
"I am extremely excited about the opportunity to begin my coaching career at Covenant, a place where I have had a wonderful four years as a student, and as an athlete," Hirte said at the time of his hiring. "I hope to bring growth and stability to the tennis program as we aim to achieve more success in the years to come."
Hirte was a successful player while he was a student at Covenant. He won numerous accolades including GSAC Player of the Year in 2012 for going undefeated in singles play during his senior season, NCCAA First Team All-American status (2012), and NCCAA Scholar Athlete honors. He was also instrumental in Covenant's only trip to the NCCAA National Tournament in 2010.
In his collegiate career, Hirte won 40 dual match singles matches which ranks fifth all-time in program history.
Before arriving at Covenant as a student-athlete, Hirte was an accomplished high school player in his hometown of Maple Grove, Minn. Hirte lettered six times in tennis and four times in basketball, was a conference champion his junior season and a Minnesota state quarterfinalist his senior year. After concluding his Covenant career and graduating with a major in history and a minor in coaching, Hirte was hired as head coach for the upcoming season.
Hirte and his wife, Claire, were married in August of 2013 and the couple lives on Lookout Mountain, Ga. The couple has a young daughter.
2013-14: 2-17 (1-8 USA South)
2014-15: 8-9 (5-4 USA South)
2015-16: 5-13 (4-6 USA South)
2016-17: 12-10 (7-1 USA South)
2017-18: 15-5 (8-1 USA South)
2018-19: 9-9 (9-3 USA South)
2019-20: 5-3 (0-0 USA South)
Total: 56 wins, 80 losses in eight seasons
2012-13: 4-13 (4-5 GSAC)
2013-14: 16-8 (10-2 USA South)
2014-15: 12-7 (9-3 USA South)
2015-16: 15-6 (11-1 USA South)
2016-17: 14-8 (7-0 USA South)
2017-18: 9-9 (4-2 USA South)
2018-19: 7-13 (3-5 USA South)
2019-20: 5-5 (1-0 USA South)
Total: 82 wins, 69 losses in eight seasons