LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- The No. 5 West seed Covenant softball team will travel to face No. 2 West seed Piedmont in a best-of-3, first round series of the USA South Tournament.
Games one and two of the series are set for Thursday, April 18 starting at 1 p.m. The third game, if necessary, is slated for Friday, April 19 at 12 p.m.
IF YOU GO
- Dates: April 18-19, 2019
- Game Times:
- Game 1: Thursday at 1 p.m.
- Game 2: Thursday at 3 p.m.
- Game 3 (if nec.): Friday at 12 p.m.
- Place: Demorest, Ga. - Walker Athletic Complex
- Admission (daily fee):
- Adult: $6
- Student/Senior/Staff/Faculty/Children: $3
- Live Stats (all games): https://piedmontlions.com/sidearmstats/softball/summary
- Live Video (free)
USA SOUTH TOURNAMENT INFO
- Covenant (11-22, 6-10 USA South) is making its third straight appearance in the USA South Tournament. The Scots are 4-4 all-time in the USA South Tournament and are traveling to the first round series for a third consecutive year.
- The winner of the series moves on to the double elimination portion of the USA South Tournament, which will be held in LaGrange, Ga., starting on April 26.
- Covenant and Piedmont met in the 2018 USA South Tournament, with Piedmont taking an 11-3 victory in an elimination game in LaGrange, Ga.
- Covenant and Piedmont played on April 2 on Lookout Mountain. The Lions took both games of the conference doubleheader (8-1, 10-2).
- Erika Mast leads Covenant in batting average (.352) and RBIs (17). The junior has a team-high 12 multi-hit games this season.
- Since the start of March, Faith Manning is hitting .342 with 14 RBIs. Manning is one of four hitters batting over .300 on the year as she is at .330.
- Madyson Gibbins (.351) and Cope Whitaker (.330) are also hitting over. 300 for the season. As a team, Covenant has a .286 average with a .346 on-base percentage on the year.
- Piedmont (26-7, 14-2 USA South) finished second in the West Division. The Lions crept into the NFCA Top 25 in April and have won 14 of their last 16 games.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here