LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- The Covenant softball team begins the USA South Tournament this weekend at LaGrange, and the Lady Scots hope that their tournament travels takes them back to LaGrange next week.
Covenant, the No. 4 seed from the West, opens the conference tournament's best-of-3 first round series at No. 3 West seed LaGrange on Friday with a doubleheader starting at 1 p.m. The if-necessary game three is scheduled for Saturday at 1 p.m.
The winner of the series moves on to the double elimination portion of the tournament that begins on April 13 in LaGrange, Ga., as part of the USA South's Spring Festival.
IF YOU GO:
- Dates: April 6-7, 2018
- Times: Game 1 (April 6) - 1 p.m.; Game 2 (April 6) - 3 p.m.; Game 3 (if nec., April 7) - 1 p.m.
- Place: LaGrange, Ga.
- Adult: $6
- Student/Senior/Staff/Faculty/Children: $3
USA SOUTH TOURNAMENT INFO:
- This will be the second trip to the USA South Tournament for Covenant (20-18, 8-6 USA South). It is the fourth all-time conference tournament appearance in the program's history and Covenant is a combined 4-6 in those trips.
- It is also the second straight year in which the Lady Scots have been the No. 4 seed and traveled for the best-of-3 opening round series. Last year, Covenant fell in three games at Huntingdon, including a 1-0 loss in extra-innings of game three.
- Covenant and LaGrange (13-17) split their two games earlier this year. LaGrange won game one of the twin-bill 7-2, but Covenant responded with a 5-2 win in the finale on March 10 in LaGrange, Ga.
- Covenant's 20 wins marks a second straight 20-win season and the fourth overall in the program's history. Covenant also finished 8-6 in conference play, securing a second straight winning season in the league.
- Pitching has been a strength of Covenant's throughout the year. Both Carsyn Stone (2.52) and Sarah Huskey (2.92) sport sub-3.00 ERAs on the year and as a team the Lady Scots have a 3.23 ERA.
- At the plate, seniors Shade Epes and Shannon Schmitt have led the way. Epes is having a career year with a .336 average and 15 RBIs, while Schmitt is at .333 with a team-best 17 RBIs. Schmitt has also produced a .453 on-base percentage, tops on the team, that includes a single-season program record 13 hit-by-pitches. Schmitt is the career program leader in hit-by-pitches with 32.
- Getting a lead early has been a key to the success of the Lady Scots in 2018. Covenant is 16-4 when scoring first and the Lady Scots have not lost a game in which they led after four innings (16-0).
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here