LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- Back in the USA South Tournament for a third straight year, the No. 3 West seeded Covenant men's tennis team will take on No. 2 East seed Methodist in the first round on Friday, April 26 at 10 a.m. The match will take place on the campus of LaGrange College.
- Covenant (9-8, 9-3 USA South) won a program-record nine conference matches this season and finished third in a tight USA South West Division.
- The Scots are making their third straight appearance in the USA South Tournament, and fourth overall since joining the league. It will be Covenant's sixth conference tournament overall in program history.
- Friday's winner moves on the semifinals to face No. 1 West seed Piedmont on Saturday at 10 a.m. Piedmont took both matches from the Scots in the regular season, but Covenant hung tight in a 5-4 loss on Feb. 26.
- It will be the second consecutive season that Covenant has played Methodist in the USA South Tournament. The Scots fell to the Monarchs, 5-4, in the semifinal round in 2018. Covenant is 1-4 all-time against Methodist, with the victory coming in the 2015 season.
- Moving up to the top spot in singles play this year, Logan Hull has been solid for the Scots. Hull has 11 singles wins on the year and went 7-4 in conference play at the No. 1 flight.
- Freshmen have played a key role for the Scots as well. Tyler Kelly broke the program's freshman record for singles wins as he boasts a 16-4 mark entering the tournament. Ben Luke (10 singles wins) and Chris Morton (nine wins) have also played in the middle of the lineup all year.
- Methodist (11-11, 6-2 USA South) arrives at the tournament having won seven of its last eight matches, with the lone loss coming to No. 1 East seed N.C. Wesleyan.
- The Monarchs also had to deal with losing a top player (RJ Clement) following last season. Methodist has played six different players at the No. 1 spot on the year. No Monarch has recorded double-digit singles wins this year.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here