Related: Full Schedule
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- A busy schedule that includes 19 regular season matches over parts of three months is set for the Covenant men's soccer team in 2019. Under third-year head coach Scott Bosgraf, the Scots are scheduled for seven matches at Scotland Yard with the rest of the 12 coming away from home.
Covenant, coming off a runner-up finish in the 2018 USA South Tournament and a 14-6-1 overall record, opens the new campaign on Aug. 30 against Randolph in the Maryville Bicentennial Kick-Off Classic. Covenant completes the first weekend of play against Southern Virginia in the same event. The Scots have never squared off with either opponent.
The home opener is set for Friday, Sept. 6 against region foe Berry. It will be the first of two regular season meetings between the Scots and Vikings, as they will meet again on Oct. 1 at Mount Berry, Ga.
After a three-match road trip, that includes the USA South opener at Brevard (Sept. 14), the Scots come home for five matches over a 10-day span (Sept. 18-28).
Covenant opens the lengthy homestand against USA South foe Berea on Sept. 18 followed by Piedmont (Sept. 20) and Pfeiffer (Sept. 21) later in the week. The following weekend is Homecoming as the Scots will host N.C. Wesleyan on Friday, Sept. 27 and Methodist on Saturday, Sept. 28.
Over the final month of the regular season, Covenant will play just one home match. The Scots host rival, and defending USA South champion, Maryville for Senior Day on Saturday, Oct. 12.
The other eight matches in October will be on the road, with six of those coming against USA South opponents. Included in that stretch are matches at men's soccer newcomer Mary Baldwin (Oct. 5) and a key road trip to Greensboro (Oct. 25) and William Peace (Oct. 26) to complete the regular season.
The 2019 USA South Tournament will begin on Nov. 2 with the top four teams in each division qualifying. Divisional seeds 1-2 host quarterfinal round matches on Nov. 2, then the highest remaining seed will host the semifinals and championship on Nov. 8-9.
- Three new opponents are on this year's schedule as the Scots face Randolph, Southern Virginia, and Mary Baldwin for the first time.
- Mary Baldwin enters its first year with intercollegiate men's soccer. The Fighting Squirrels are eligible for USA South championships.
- The Sept. 6 match against Berry and the Sept. 7 match at Sewanee will be part of Sewanee's Kyle Rote, Jr. Invitational.
- Covenant and Berry will meet twice during the season for the first time on record since the 1969 season, in which Covenant won both contests. Berry is the most common all-time opponent on the Scots' schedule this season as the teams have played 48 times.
- Matches against Brevard and Pfeiffer will count for USA South standings this year. However, Brevard and Pfeiffer are not eligible to compete in the USA South Tournament. Both institutions will gain full NCAA Division III membership in 2020-21 academic year.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here