Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Frantic Finish Comes Up Short for Scots in Loss to Methodist

Josh Brower (photo credit: Nina Grauley/ Sports Information)
Josh Brower (photo credit: Nina Grauley/ Sports Information)

LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- The Covenant men's soccer team produced comeback after comeback and a furious rally in the final 15 seconds, but ultimately fell to Methodist 4-3 on Saturday night in at Scotland Yard.

The main draw on the final night of Homecoming weekend at Covenant lived up to the excitement in front of over 1,000 fans inside Scotland Yard.

Covenant (2-5, 0-2 USA South) never led in the match, but answered each Methodist score with one of its own, and nearly came up with a goal in the final seconds before falling. Trailing by a goal, Covenant had two corner kicks and two shots within range, both coming in the final 15 seconds of play. Jesse Riggs put a header nearly into the net before Methodist cleared it at the last moment and Christopher Kitchen had one final attempt that was saved by Methodist keeper Josh Helms as time expired.

Methodist took the lead in the 18th minute when Isaac Sanchez put home a penalty kick. But Covenant would respond just minutes later as Josh Brower unleashed a rocket from 30 yards out that went into the upper right corner of the net past Helms. The goal was Brower's second of the year.

The score remained knotted at 1-1 until the 49th minute. Methodist's Gerry Madden scored from inside the 18-yard box, assisted by Trevor Hendricks, putting the Monarchs ahead 2-1. Again the Scots had an answer as Riggs netted a penalty kick of his own in the 54th minute to tie the match at 2-2. The score was Riggs' first of the year

Minutes later, Conor Morris scored the first of two goals on the night when he slotted one into the net past Covenant keeper Jonathan Crossman, assisted by Madden, for a 3-2 Monarchs edge. As the trend of the match continued, Covenant would be able to find the equalizer one more time as Parker Owen headed in a cross from Jonathan Barrett to knot the score at 3-3. The goal was Owen's first collegiate score.

Methodist would go ahead for good in the 82nd minute with some quick passes inside the box, Morris put home his second goal of the night to give the Monarchs a 4-3 lead.

Backed by the crowd eager to see the Scots tie the match again, Covenant put together the furious final minute rally but both attempts would not be able to find the back of the net.

Crossman made five saves for Covenant, while Helms made six for Methodist (4-2-1, 2-0 USA South). Methodist held a 16-13 edge in total shots, but Covenant had a 6-4 margin in corner kicks. Riggs led the Scots with three shots.


Covenant will travel to play Ferrum on Sept. 22. Kickoff is set for 6 p.m.


Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on and on social media at FacebookTwitter and Insta  gram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here.

Season-in-Review: Men's Soccer
December 18, 2017 Season-in-Review: Men's Soccer