Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Scots and Piedmont Settle for 1-1 Draw

Nate Mackey (photo credit: Anna Dove/Sports Information)
Nate Mackey (photo credit: Anna Dove/Sports Information)

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. -- Piedmont took an early 1-0 lead, but the Covenant men's soccer team fought back and scored on a penalty kick in the second half as the two teams played to a 1-1 draw on Wednesday night at Chattanooga Christian.

The match was moved to Chattanooga Christian after continued rain over the last several days rendered Scotland Yard unplayable.

Covenant goes to 2-5-1 overall and 1-0-1 in conference action. Piedmont moves to 2-4-3 on the year and 1-2-1 inside the USA South.

Piedmont took a 1-0 lead in the 20th minute when Cullen Copeland slipped by the defense and got his shot past Covenant keeper Daniel Kubin. Piedmont held a 6-3 edge in shots in the first half, but Covenant was able to keep the deficit to 1-0.

In the second half, Piedmont was hit with a foul inside the 18-yard box and Noah Wiersema converted the ensuing penalty kick to knot the score at 1-1. The goal was Wiersema's team-leading third of the year. 

In the first overtime, Covenant's Isaac Johnson had a good look at the net but his shot was saved by Piedmont keeper Kenneth Hearn in the 99th minute. The visiting Lions took the only shot on goal in the second overtime session, but Kubin made the save to preserve the tie.

Covenant outshot the Lions 16-15 as Wiersema led the way with five shots attempted. Kubin made five saves on the night and Hearn collected three. The teams also combined for 52 fouls in the contest.


Covenant will hit the road for a USA South match at LaGrange on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.


Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on and on social media at FacebookTwitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here

Fall Recaps: Men's Soccer
December 18, 2015 Fall Recaps: Men's Soccer