Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Covenant Surrenders 4-2 Lead in Final Five Minutes

Lookout Mountain, GA-  The Covenant College men's soccer team took the field on Saturday playing host to NCAA Division II University of Alabama at Huntsville.  Playing on a Scotland Yard pitch that had become saturated by the record amounts of rainfall in the region, the Scots knew they would have to battle both the opposition and the weather in their quest to come out on top.  Shortly after kickoff, though, it was the visiting UAH Chargers who appeared the more eager side, taking the lead via a fourth-minute Sean Kerber goal.  The lead would last only ten minutes, though, before Covenant junior David Pifer put away his third goal of the season after some nice combination play with freshman Colby Robbins, who provided the assist.  Ten minutes later, Robbins again found himself in the middle of the action.  Facing a one-on-one with UAH goalkeeper Tyler Earley, Robbins' shot was deflected high into the air where an awaiting Julian Allgeier out-leapt the UAH defense to head home his sixth goal of the season and put the Scots up 2-1 before the half.

As the second half began, the rain showed no signs of stopping, and neither did the goals. Covenant freshman Tyler Morrison latched onto an Allgeier pass and slotted home his second goal of the season to give the Scots a 3-1 cushion with 30 minutes to play.  UAH would respond with their second goal of the game just two minutes later, though, following a nice shot from sophomore Brandon LeMier.

Trailing 3-2 with 25 minutes remaining, the Chargers began putting the pressure on Covenant, but Allgeier held his resolve to net his second of the game.  Senior Ryan Yackel was the provider, and the strike, which put the Scots up 4-2 in the 76th minute, appeared to be the final nail in the UAH coffin.

Much like the unrelenting rain, though, the visitors refused to lay down. LeMier struck a well-hit volley in the 83rd minute to bring UAH within one, and senior Derin Schleif netted in similar fashion in the 86th to complete the dramatic comeback.

Stunned by the opposition's efforts, the Scots nearly lost in overtime, where goalkeeper John Eger had to make several key stops to preserve the draw.  "You never want to surrender four goals, let alone two in the final ten minutes." said Covenant midfielder David Pifer.  "Even though we came out of this one with a tie, it almost feels like a loss because we had the game under control.  This game was ours for the taking and we let it slip out of our hands.  We're just gonna have to shake it off and work harder so this doesn't happen again."

With the tie the Scots are now 2-2-1 on the season, and will travel to Virginia next Saturday to face Emory and Henry College, before returning home to face Emory University on the 30th of September.