LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- The Covenant men's golf team will open the USA South Tournament on Thursday morning at the Highland Country Club in LaGrange, Ga. Seeded ninth in the top golf conference in Division III, the Scots will tee off starting at 8:10 a.m.
TEE TIMES (Thursday):
- 8:10 AM - James Mitchell
- 8:20 AM - Will DeMersseman
- 8:30 AM - Josh Wall
- 8:40 AM - Marshall Kent
- 8:50 AM - Nathan Hawkins
- Covenant is making its third appearance as a team at the USA South Tournament, and the first since 2017. The Scots also competed at the 2014 tournament in Rocky Mount, N.C.
- Covenant comes in rated 111th in Division III and is the No. 9 seed in the tournament field. The Scots have been ranked as high as 69th during the season, the highest in-season ranking in the program's NCAA era.
- Nathan Hawkins will be making his second straight appearance at the USA South Tournament. Hawkins qualified as an individual in 2018 and finished in a tie for 26th with a 233 (+17) for the tournament. In 2017, Hawkins came in a tie for 13th overall with a 224 (+8).
- Covenant is coming off one of its best tournament performances in program history at the Rhodes Spring Classic last week. The Scots set a program record low round score with a 293 in both the first and third rounds of the tournament. Covenant shot a 294 in the second round and set a program record in a 54-hole event with an 880 (+16).
- Hawkins leads the team in scoring average with a 75.94, currently the third best single-season average in program history. As a team, Covenant is shooting a 305.82 which is on pace to be the best team scoring average in program history.
- Seniors Marshall Kent and Josh Wall enter their final conference tournament. Kent is averaging a career-best 76.94 on the year, while Wall is also a career-best 77.35. Wall shot a career-low round of 71 at the Rhodes Spring Classic and Kent tied his career-low round score when he carded a 70 at the Piedmont Fall Invitational.
- Will DeMersseman and James Mitchell enter their first conference tournaments. DeMersseman was named USA South Rookie of the Week on Oct. 17 and is averaging a 78.15. Mitchell has played in seven rounds on the year and is shooting a 79.00.
- The field at the USA South Tournament will again be stout. Five teams are ranked inside the Top 25, including Huntingdon at No. 2. Defending conference champion N.C. Wesleyan is No. 16 in the nation.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here