LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- The top-seeded Covenant men's basketball team will host the final two rounds of the USA South Tournament on Feb. 22-23, 2019 inside Barnes PE Center.
On Friday, Covenant hosts Methodist in the second semifinal game of the night at 7 p.m. In the first semifinal, Averett takes on Maryville at 5 p.m.
ADMISSION (CASH ONLY)
- ALL Covenant students will be admitted for FREE for Covenant games
- Daily fees:
- $8 - Adult
- $3 - Staff/Faculty/Student/Child/Senior
Friday, Feb. 22
- Averett vs. Maryville - 5 p.m. ( Live Stats | Live Video )
- Methodist vs. Covenant - 7 p.m. ( Live Stats | Live Video )
Saturday, Feb. 23
- Championship Game - 3 p.m.
NO. 1 WEST SEED COVENANT (18-8)
- Covenant is in the semifinals of the USA South Tournament for the third time in the last four years. The Scots eked out a win over Huntingdon, 67-66, in the first round of the tournament on Tuesday.
- The Scots boast the USA South Player of the Year in sophomore Will Crumly and the conference Coach of the Year in Neal Young.
- Crumly is currently second in the conference in both scoring and rebounding as he is averaging 22.5 points and 8.7 rebounds per contest. He accumulated the most total defensive and total rebounds in the conference during regular season play. The sophomore is also third in the league in field goal percentage at 60.2 percent and his 233 made field ranks fifth in Division III.
- In his second season, Young led the Scots to the program's first conference regular season title since 1964, and just the second overall, with a 16-2 record. The 16 conference wins set a single-season program record and Covenant is guaranteed to finish with its best overall winning percentage in program history as the Scots currently sit at 18-8.
- Senior Bailey Spragg was also a first team All-USA South honoree. The senior point guard is averaging 14.0 points, while shooting 52.9 percent from the field, and leads the USA South with 7.0 assists per game. He currently ranks fourth in the nation in assists per game and in total assists with 174.
- Covenant has one USA South Tournament title, coming in 2016.
NO. 2 EAST SEED METHODIST (14-12)
- The Monarchs have won four straight games, including a drubbing of William Peace, 104-70, in the USA South Tournament first round on Tuesday.
- Sophomore guard Dante Burden was named to the All-USA South second team. Burden led Methodist and the league in steals (64) and his per-game average of 2.40 was 27th nationally in Division III. He also posted team highs in scoring average (17.2) and assists (104), statistical figures that ranked sixth and fourth, respectively, within the conference statistic tables.
- Methodist has won the USA South Tournament seven times, with the last title coming in 2005.
- Head coach David Smith is in his 20th year in control of the Monarchs.
NO. 2 WEST SEED MARYVILLE (19-7)
- Maryville has been one of the hottest teams in the USA South having won 12 of the its last 13 games. The Scots took down LaGrange, 91-77, in the first round of the USA South Tournament on Tuesday.
- Longtime head coach Randy Lambert is in his 39th, and final, season at the helm of the Scots. Lambert has accumulated 720 victories during his legendary career.
- Maryville is the defending tournament champion, after defeating Covenant in the 2018 title game.
- Maryville placed three players on All-USA South teams as senior Calvin Songster was a first team selection, while seniors Dante Hoppa and Emier Bowman were third team choices. Songster is averaging 15.3 points per game and leads the nation in 3-point percentage at 55.7 percent. Hoppa, who had a career-high 35 points in a win over Covenant on Feb. 16, is averaging 13.1 points per game and Bowman comes in at 11.7 points per contest.
- Maryville has one USA South Tournament title, coming in 2018.
NO. 4 EAST SEED AVERETT (9-17)
- Averett stunned the No. 1 East seed N.C. Wesleyan, 82-78, in the first round of the USA South Tournament on the road. The Cougars trailed for much of the game, but made a late run to get into the semifinals.
- The Cougars did not have a player make an All-USA South team, but still have plenty of playmakers. Sophomore guard Montre' Cash is averaging 25.1 points over the last five games, while junior Timothy Henry leads the team in scoring at 13.5 points per contest. Vince Contreras checks in with 11.8 points per game with Cash and Isaiah Jones scoring 10.9 points per game.
- Head coach David Doino is in his fifth season at Averett.
- Averett has won the USA South Tournament four times, with the last title coming in 2009. The Cougars won three straight USA South Tournament crowns from 2007-09.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.eduand on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here