LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- The No. 3 West seed Covenant men's basketball team will travel to face No. 2 West seed Piedmont in a quarterfinal of the USA South Tournament on Tuesday in Demorest, Ga. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m.
IF YOU GO:
- Date: Feb. 20, 2018
- Time: 7 p.m.
- Place: Demorest, Ga. - Cave Arena
- Adult: $8
- Student/Senior/Staff/Faculty/Children: $3
USA SOUTH TOURNAMENT INFO:
- Tuesday's meeting will be the third time this year that Covenant (16-9) and Piedmont (15-10) have played. Piedmont defeated the Scots 89-82 in overtime on Jan. 18 on Lookout Mountain before completing the regular season sweep with a 76-69 win in Demorest last Saturday.
- Tuesday's winner will advance to the semifinals of the tournament and take on either No. 1 East seed N.C. Wesleyan or No. 4 East seed Greensboro. The final two rounds will be played at the highest remaining seed in the field. If Covenant advances, the semifinals will be played on Friday, Feb. 23 with the championship on Saturday, Feb. 24.
- This is the fourth time Covenant has played in a USA South Tournament. The Scots are 3-2 all-time in the tournament, with all three victories coming in 2016 en route to a conference title. Both of Covenant's losses in the tournament have come to a No. 1 seeded Averett team (2015, 2017).
- Even with Saturday's loss at Piedmont, Covenant enters the tournament as one of the hottest teams in the league. The Scots finished the regular season winning eight of the last nine games and setting an NCAA era program record for longest winning streak (eight games) in the process.
- The 16 wins entering postseason play for the Scots are the most since for a regular season since 1995-96.
- As a team, Covenant has hit 278 3-pointers on the year, breaking a USA South single-season record. It is also the most 3-pointers made by a Covenant team on record.
- James Mitchell, Caleb Haynes, and Bailey Spragg continue to rank high nationally in three statistical categories. Mitchell took over as the Division III leader in 3-pointers made with five on Saturday and has 112 on the year. Mitchell is 12 triples shy of tying the USA South single-season record. Haynes ranks fourth in Division III in field goal percentage (70.5 percent), and Spragg ranks in the top five in total steals (76).
- Covenant vs. USA South Tournament in 2017-18:
- No. 1 West seed Maryville: 1-1 (L, 59-95 on Jan. 3; W, 80-73 on Jan. 31)
- No. 2 West seed Piedmont: 0-2 (L, 82-89 OT on Jan. 18; L, 69-76 on Feb. 17)
- No. 4 West seed LaGrange: 1-1 (W, 89-85 on Nov. 30; L, 75-91 on Jan. 26)
- No. 1 East seed N.C. Wesleyan: 0-1 (L, 85-94 on Jan. 13)
- No. 2 East seed Methodist: 1-0 (W, 92-88 on Feb. 2)
- No. 3 East seed Averett: 0-1 (L, 98-103 OT on Jan. 12)
- No. 4 East seed Greensboro: 1-0 (W, 92-80 on Feb. 9)
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here