Related: Times Free Press feature story
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- The Covenant men's basketball team will make its debut in the NCAA Division III Tournament on Friday against Emory at 7:30 p.m. at the Woodruff PE Center on the campus of Emory University in Atlanta.
cash only for ticket sales
General Admission - $10.00
Student w/ ID - $5.00
Senior Citizens - $5.00
Children (2-12) - $5.00
Children under 2 - Free
LINKS TO FOLLOW:
Friday, March 4th, 2016 - First Round
Game #1 - 5:30 PM
LaGrange vs. Birmingham Southern
Game #2 - 7:30 PM
Emory vs. Covenant
Saturday, March 5th, 2016 - Second Round
Game #3 - 7:00 PM
Game 1 Winner vs. Game 2 Winner
- Covenant enters its first NCAA Tournament in program history after winning the USA South Tournament championship last Saturday with a 101-92 overtime victory over LaGrange. This will mark just the third national tournament in program history and the first since 1987.
- The conference championship was the first for the program since winning the regular season title in the Midwestern Conference of Christian Colleges in 1963-64 (when the school was located in St. Louis, Mo.). The conference tournament title is the first-ever in the 58-year history of the program.
- The Scots are 0-6 all-time against first round opponent Emory. Covenant fell to the Eagles earlier this year 76-63 in Atlanta on Dec. 30. The Scots have defeated the other two teams in the bracket earlier this year (Birmingham Southern on Dec. 12 and LaGrange on Feb. 27).
- Covenant is 18-9 overall this season. The 18 wins are the most since the 1995-96 season and the Scots have secured the winningest season (in terms of percentage) in program history.
- TJ Cox was named USA South Tournament MVP after averaging 16.7 points and 5.3 assists in the three games. Cox had help as Berto Dryden scored 22 points against William Peace and LaGrange while Bailey Spragg, Connor Sears and Patjo Twagirayezu all had double digit scoring efforts in the tournament. Dryden and Spragg were also All-Tournament honorees.
- Covenant is 1-3 all-time in national tournaments. The Scots were the No. 8 seed in the 1987 NCCAA National Tournament and knocked off top-seeded George Fox 75-73 in the first round.
- Against the NCAA Tournament field (all-time)
- Birmingham Southern: 1-8 (last played: Dec. 12, 2015 - Covenant 96, BSC 81)
- Emory: 0-6 (last played: Dec. 30, 2015 - Emory 76, Covenant 63)
- Hope: 0-1 (last played: Dec. 7, 2012 - Hope 87, Covenant 73)
- LaGrange: 10-10 (last played: Feb. 27, 2016 - Covenant 101, LaGrange 92)
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here