LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- The No. 2 seeded Covenant men's basketball team opens the USA South Tournament on Thursday against No. 7 seed William Peace at 3 p.m. inside Everett Gym on the campus of North Carolina Wesleyan in Rocky Mount, N.C.
LINKS TO FOLLOW:
Student (with ID): $3
- The Scots enter the tournament with a 15-9 overall record and finished USA South play with a 10-4 record. The .714 winning percentage in the USA South is the best conference winning percetange in program history.
- Covenant defeated William Peace 79-77 on Jan. 15, 2016 in Raleigh on a Will Portlock buzzer-beating jumper. The Scots led by double digits in the second half before the Pacers rallied and tied the score just moments before Portlock's game-winner. Bailey Spragg had 17 points in the win, while TJ Cox had 16 and Portlock 13.
- Covenant is 3-0 all-time against quarterfinal opponent William Peace
- TJ Cox was named to the All-USA South first team on Wednesday after averaging 14.5 points and 3.4 assists on the year. Cox has scored in double digits in 19 of 24 games this season and was USA South Player of the Week on Dec. 14. He is the first player to earn first team All-USA South honors in Covenant's brief history in the conference.
- Covenant is 0-1 all-time in the USA South Tournament. The Scots' lone appearance in the tournament before this year came in 2015 as the No. 8 seed. Covenant fell 67-61 to top-seed and host Averett.
- Due to conference and association changes over the last several years, Covenant has played in just one conference tournament (USA South last year) since the 2009-10 season. The Scots last won a conference tournament game on Feb. 21, 2007 against Virginia Intermont (97-78) in the Appalachian Athletic Conference first round. Covenant has never won a conference tournament in the program's history.
- Against the field this year:
- vs. No. 1 North Carolina Wesleyan (1-0; W, 77-71 in Rocky Mount on Jan. 16)
- vs. No. 3 Greensboro (0-1; L, 79-81 on Lookout Mountain on Jan. 29)
- vs. No. 4 LaGrange (0-2; L, 64-73 on Lookout Mountain on Jan. 2; L, 65-76 in LaGrange on Feb. 12)
- vs. No. 5 Ferrum (0-1; L, 61-67 on Lookout Mountain on Feb. 6)
- vs. No. 6 Piedmont (2-0; W, 76-71 on Lookout Mountain on Jan. 5; W, 79-68 in Demorest on Feb. 10)
- vs. No. 7 William Peace (1-0; W, 79-77 in Raleigh on Jan. 15)
- vs. No. 8 Averett (1-0; W, 77-68 in Danville on Feb. 2)
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here