LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- Coming off a tough home loss to Averett last Saturday, the Covenant men's basketball team will look to get back on track this weekend when they host a pair of USA South contests. The action begins on Friday when Methodist comes to Lookout Mountain (7:30 p.m.) followed by Greensboro on Saturday (4 p.m.).
Friday, 7:30 p.m. - vs. Methodist
Saturday, 4 p.m. - vs. Greensboro
Covenant Update: 6-6, 1-1 USA South
- Covenant fell to Averett last Saturday 75-64 after the visitors went on a 24-6 run over the final 10 minutes. Colton McGriff led all scorers with 24 points on 10-of-20 shooting.
- The loss to Averett was just the fifth inside Barnes PE Center over the last two years. Covenant is 13-5 at home since the start of last season.
- McGriff registered his fourth double-double in the last five games against Averett with 24 points and 11 rebounds. He is averaging 21.2 points and 11.4 rebounds over the last five contests and ranks third in the USA South in scoring average (18.8).
- Sharpshooting freshman Ben Phelps is currently shooting 48.9 percent from downtown on the year, which ranks him second in the USA South. He is on pace to be the best percentage 3-point shooter for Covenant going back to the 2003-04 season (among qualifying players).
- Friday's game will be the third all-time meeting between Covenant and Methodist. The two teams last met on Dec. 18, 2010 in Birmingham Southern Holiday Classic with MU earning an 87-64 win.
About Methodist (3-9, 1-1 USA South):
Series History: Methodist leads 2-0
Last Meeting: Dec. 18, 2010 (at Birmingham, Ala.) -- Methodist 87, Covenant 64
- Methodist is 3-9 on the season and 1-1 in USA South play after earning a 76-72 overtime win against Huntingdon on Sunday. T.J. Gill and Bryan Hockaday each had 14 points, while Hockaday grabbed 11 rebounds.
- Hockaday recently eclipsed 1,000 career points and leads the team in scoring (12.4 PPG) and rebounding (12.3 RPG). He has recorded seven double-doubles this season which ranks first in the conference and 10th in Division III. He also ranks second in the country in total rebounds with 148.
- Methodist is 0-3 in road games this season, losing by an average of 8.3 points. The Monarchs are 0-6 in all contests played away from home.
- Averaging 70.6 points per game as a team while shooting 41.2 percent from the floor and 28.2 percent from 3-point land. Outrebound opponents by an average of 5.4 per game. Surrendering 75.3 points per game and opponents shoot 43.9 percent from the field.
About Greensboro (3-8, 0-2 USA South - record as of Jan. 9, 2014):
Series History: Greensboro leads 2-0
Last Meeting: Dec. 19, 2011 (at Lookout Mountain, Ga.) -- Greensboro 71, Covenant 60
- Coming into Friday night's game at Maryville, Greensboro is 3-8 and 0-2 in the USA South on the year. The Pride have lost consecutive games going into Friday.
- Senior guard Damian Dixon leads the Pride in scoring (15.0 PPG) and rebounding (7.9 RPG) on the year. Devan Gregory is the only other player averaging in double figures scoring with 10.2 points.
- Greensboro has played one of the toughest non-conference schedules in the league as they have played at Division I schools UNC-Greensboro and Liberty. The Pride has also played tough Division III opponents in Guilford and Bridgewater, among others.
- For the year, Greensboro is scoring 72.5 points per game and shooting just 36.4 percent as a team. Opponents are shooting 48.9 percent and scoring 81.1 points per game.
- This will be the third meeting all-time between Covenant and Greensboro. The Pride have won both of the previous matchups.