LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- Coming off a thrilling 94-90 overtime victory over Berry nearly three weeks ago, the Covenant men's basketball team returns to the hardwood this weekend to begin USA South play. The Scots host Ferrum (Friday, 7:30 p.m.) and Averett (Saturday, 4 p.m.) inside Barnes Physical Education Center.
Both games will feature live video with Tim Mahla handling play-by-play duties. Live stats will also be available.
Friday, 7:30 p.m. - vs. Ferrum
Saturday, 4 p.m. - vs. Averett
Covenant Update: 5-5, 0-0 USA South
- Covenant capped the fall semester with a 94-90 overtime victory over Berry on Dec. 14. Colton McGriff scored a game-high 26 points to go along with 13 rebounds in the win. Nate Frierson had a career-high 23 points, including a 12-of-15 effort from the free throw line.
- McGriff has been on a tear as of late averaging 24.7 points and 12.7 rebounds over the last three contests. The junior was named USA South Player of the Week in consecutive weeks in mid-December and is second in the USA South in scoring average at 19.3 (second only to Ferrum's Jamal Pullen).
- As a team, the Scots have shot at least 50 percent from the field in three of their last four contests. For the year, Covenant has tallied four games of 50 percent shooting or better.
- Chris Boyd set a new career-high in blocks with five against Berry on Dec. 14.
- In the last NCAA Division III statistical rankings (Dec. 15), the Scots were sixth in the country in free throws made with 192 and seventh in free throws attempted at 281. Covenant is averaging 75.6 points per game and shooting 43.1 percent from the field as a team.
- This weekend marks the first USA South Conference games in program history.
- Covenant is 3-1 at home this season and 12-4 over the last two years inside Barnes Physical Education Center.
About Ferrum (3-6, 0-0 USA South):
Last Meeting: Dec. 31, 2011 (at Ferrum, Va.) -- Ferrum 72, Covenant 52
- Ferrum is 3-6 overall on the season after they fell 105-64 to nationally-ranked Virginia Wesleyan on Dec. 19. The loss was the Panthers' fifth straight.
- Jamal Pullen leads Ferrum and the USA South in scoring average at 22.1 points per game. As of the last NCAA statistical rankings release (Dec. 15), Pullen was 43rd in the country in scoring.
- Brian Clarke leads the USA South in assists per game averaging 7.9 per contest. Clarke was third in Division III in the last stat ranking.
- Ferrum is 1-2 on the road this season with a victory over Washington & Lee back in November.
- Ferrum averages 76.4 points per game and shoots 46.5 percent from the field as a team.
About Averett (2-6, 0-0 USA South - record as of Jan. 2, 2014):
Series History: First Meeting
- Coming into Friday night's contest at Maryville, Averett stands at 2-6 on the year. The Cougars' wins have come against Washington & Lee at home and Emory & Henry on the road.
- Four players average in double figures scoring led by Bradley Robinson's 16.0 points per game. Carter Jones (13.8), JaColby Hawkins (12.5), and Trevor West (10.9) also average double digits.
- West is also second in the league in assists per game at 6.1.
- As a team, Averett leads the USA South in scoring average at 84.2 points per game… The Cougars are 1-4 on the road this season.
- Saturday marks the first-ever meeting between Covenant and Averett in men's basketball