LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- The No. 6 seeded Covenant baseball team opens the USA South Tournament on Thursday against No. 3 seed North Carolina Wesleyan at 8 p.m. at Fleming Stadium in Wilson, N.C.
LINKS TO FOLLOW:
Senior (65 over)/Child (under 6): Free
Home of the Wilson Tobs
300 Stadium Street SW
Wilson, NC 27893
N.C. Wesleyan College's Bauer Field
3400 Wesleyan Blvd.
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
- The Scots enter the tournament having won nine of their last 11 games. Covenant was 3-6 in USA South play at one point in the year, but finished off conference play going 6-2.
- Covenant enters the tournament with a 20-15 overall record. It is the sixth time in the last seven years the Scots have won at least 20 gamaes.
- Senior pitcher Garrett Kriston continues to lead all of Division III in strikeouts. Kriston has 83 punch outs on the year in 69.1 innings of work. He has already broken career and single-season program strikeout records.
- This will mark the second time in modern program history that Covenant has played in a conference tournament. Due to conference realignment and the USA South not holding a tournament the last two years, the Scots will play in a league tournament for the first time since the 2009 Appalachian Athletic Conference tournament. Covenant went 1-2 in the AAC tournament that year.
- Luke Harvey enters the tournament second in the league in hitting at .411, trailing only LaGrange's Blake Butcher who is hitting at a .420 clip. Harvey has 14 extra-base hits and 26 RBIs to go along with 21 stolen bases. The 21 steals is tied for a single-season program mark.
- Harvey, Kriston, Trenton Nobles and Z Arima all earned All-USA South honors, announced the conference on Wednesday. Harvey, Kriston and Nobles were second team selections, while Arima earned honorable mention.
- Against the field (this year / all-time):
- vs. No. 1 seed Ferrum (have not played yet in 2016 / 3-3)
- vs. No. 2 seed LaGrange (2-1 / 11-7)
- vs. No. 3 seed N.C. Wesleyan (1-2 / 6-3)
- vs. No. 4 seed Maryville (0-3 / 6-15)
- vs. No. 5 seed Methodist (have not played yet in 2016 / 3-3)
- vs. No. 7 seed Huntingdon (1-1 / 4-12)
- vs. No. 8 seed Averett (have not played yet in 2016 / 4-2)
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here