Returning this year is Scots Weekly, a weekly publication that highlights the past week's Covenant athletic events with news, notes and more.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS:
Men 4 of 15; Women 8 of 12 at Falcon Classic
Men's Tennis (1-0)
W, 7-2 vs. Christian Brothers
SCOTS IN THE NEWS:
Crossman Garners Defensive Player of the Week Honors
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- After a pair of shutouts last week, Covenant men's soccer senior goalkeeper Jonathan Crossman was named USA South Defensive Player of the Week, for the period ending Sept. 10, 2017, announced the conference on Monday, Sept. 11... FULL STORY
Lemay Named USA South Defensive Player of the Week
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- Covenant women's soccer junior goalkeeper Rachel Lemay was named the USA South Defensive Player of the Week, for the period ending Sept. 10, 2017, announced the conference on Monday, Sept. 11... FULL STORY
With the women's soccer team's 4-0 victory over Oglethorpe on Saturday, head coach Mark Duble reached his 250th career coaching win. Duble was presented a framed jersey with the number 250 after the match.
- Homecoming weekend again saw large crowds for the soccer matches at Scotland Yard. For the men's match against Methodist on Saturday night, an estimated 1,053 packed into the Yard.
- The women's soccer team saw its shutout streak to begin the year end with last Wednesday's loss at Sewanee, but the Lady Scots picked it back up with Saturday's 4-0 win over Oglethorpe. Covenant has compiled four shutouts in its first five matches of the year and only Greensboro (eight matches) and Huntingdon (six matches) have more shutouts in the USA South.
- In a strange statistical oddity, women's soccer sophomore Lizzy Hightower scored a goal with 27 seconds left in the first half in each of the two matches last week. Hightower scored from long range with 27 seconds left in last Wednesday's loss at Sewanee, and then repeated the feat on Saturday with a goal in the final 30 seconds.
- Cross country freshman Caleb Aikens looked strong again on Saturday as he finished 23rd, out of 145 non-Division I runners, and helped Covenant to a fourth place finish at the Falcon Classic. Aikens has been the top Covenant runner in each of the first two meets. On the women's side, Michelann Settle set a personal record in the 6k and placed 17th, out of 104.
- The volleyball team will take over the USA South Instagram account this weekend when they travel to LaGrange for a conference tri-match. Be sure to give @USA_South a follow on Instagram for a behind-the-scenes look at the program on its road trip.
For a complete list of events and links to live stats and video, if available, click here for the composite calendar
- Men's Soccer: The Scots head to Ferrum on Friday at 6 p.m., before traveling to Averett on Saturday at 2 p.m.
- Women's Soccer: Covenant hosts Birmingham Southern on Tuesday at 7 p.m. USA South play then opens on Saturday at Piedmont (2 p.m.)
- Volleyball: The Lady Scots open USA South play on Wednesday at home against Maryville (7 p.m.). They then travel to LaGrange on Saturday to play LaGrange (12 p.m.) and Piedmont (2 p.m.).
- Women's Tennis: Covenant opens the season with its lone dual match of the fall against Snead State on Saturday at 11 a.m., at home
COVENANT ATHLETES OF THE WEEK:
Each week, Covenant will honor a female and male student-athlete with the Covenant Athlete of the Week. This week's honorees are Rachel Lemay and Jonathan Crossman. Click on the names below for full highlights of the recipients' week.
|Michelann Settle - So. - Cross Country||Caleb Aikens - Fr. - Cross Country|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at email@example.com with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here