Returning this year is Scots Weekly, a weekly publication that highlights the past week's Covenant athletic events with news, notes and more.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS:
Track & Field
Men 7th, Women 5th at Tiger Indoor Invitational
SCOTS IN THE NEWS:
Women's Tennis Selected as USA South Preseason Favorite
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- The Covenant women's tennis team was picked as the favorite in the USA South West Division as the conference unveiled its 2018 preseason coaches' poll on Thursday... FULL STORY
Scots Men's Tennis Tabbed West Favorite in USA South
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- The Covenant men's tennis team picked up four of the six first place votes and was tabbed as the favorite in the USA South West Division as the conference released its annual preseason coaches' poll on Thursday... FULL STORY
- Both basketball teams had quite the week. Both teams went 3-0 and knocked off top teams within the USA South. The women took down Wesleyan and Brevard before storming to a 71-58 win at Piedmont, previously a co-leader in the USA South West Division. The men gave Maryville its first USA South loss of the year and then went on the road to beat USA South East leader Methodist before drubbing William Peace.
- The women's basketball team's win at Piedmont on Saturday was the first over the Lions since 2009 and snapped a 14-game losing streak against them. It was also the first win over Piedmont in Demorest since 2000 and gave Piedmont its worst home USA South loss (13 points) since 2015.
- Februarys have been kind to the men's basketball team over the last three seasons. Since February 2016, the Scots are 10-3 in the regular season during the month, including a 2-0 mark so far this year.
- Men's basketball sophomore Caleb Haynes continues to shoot at a high percentage. The sophomore shot 75.8 percent from the field last week and is second in Division III (and leading the USA South) in field goal percentage at 72.8 percent. Only three other players from all NCAA divisions are shooting at a higher percentage than Haynes.
For a complete list of events and links to live stats and video, if available, click here for the composite calendar
- Baseball: The Scots host Oglethorpe on Tuesday at 2 p.m., then open a series against Emory on Friday at 2 p.m. Games two and three of the Emory series will be played in Atlanta on Saturday starting at 12 p.m.
- Men's Basketball: Covenant travels to Berea on Wednesday (7:30 p.m.) before hosting Greensboro on Friday (7:30 p.m.) and Ferrum on Saturday (4 p.m.). Saturday's game will be Senior Day.
- Women's Basketball: Covenant wraps up the regular season on Friday at Wesleyan (7 p.m.) and Saturday at Agnes Scott (2 p.m.).
- Softball: Covenant goes to Berry on Tuesday for a doubleheader (2 p.m.) then Birmingham Southern on Wednesday for two (5 p.m.). The Lady Scots go to Maryville on Friday and Saturday to play four games against Berea and Maryville.
- Women's Tennis: Covenant hosts Birmingham Southern on Saturday (12 p.m.).
- Men's Tennis: The Scots host Birmingham Southern on Saturday (12 p.m.).
COVENANT ATHLETES OF THE WEEK:
Each week, Covenant will honor a female and male student-athlete with the Covenant Athlete of the Week. This week's honorees are Joanna Smith and Caleb Haynes. Click on the names below for full highlights of the recipients' week.
|Joanna Smith - Jr. - Basketball||Caleb Haynes - So. - Basketball|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at email@example.com with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here