Returning this year is Scots Weekly, a weekly publication that highlights the past week's Covenant athletic events with news, notes and more.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS:
- Women's basketball senior Emma Grimes was on fire on Tuesday in a 79-65 win over LaGrange. The senior hit a single-game program record 10 3-pointers and scored a career-high 32 points. The 10 triples broke the previous single-game record of nine that was accomplished four times, most recently by Abby Reed in 2003.
- After going over seven years without a player scoring 30 or more points in a game, the women's basketball team had two players achieve the feat this past week. Grimes had 32 in the win over LaGrange and then Joanna Smith produced a career-high 30 points in an 81-65 win over Agnes Scott on Friday.
- For a second time this season, men's basketball junior Bailey Spragg recorded 10 assists in a game. The junior had 10 assists in the Scots' win over Huntingdon on Saturday. Spragg currently leads the USA South in assists per game at 5.2.
- Baseball and softball preseason USA South polls were released last week. The softball team was selected fourth in the West Division, while the baseball team was picked 10th overall. Both teams begin their seasons on Friday. Softball Poll | Baseball Poll
Check out highlights from the women's basketball team's 79-65 win over LaGrange on Tuesday, Jan. 23. Emma Grimes hit a program-record 10 3-pointers in the victory.
Three days later, the women's basketball team was back at it. Joanna Smith scored 30 points to lead the Scots to an 81-65 Senior Night win over Agnes Scott.
For a complete list of events and links to live stats and video, if available, click here for the composite calendar
- Baseball: Season-opener for the Scots is set for Friday at 2 p.m. against Oglethorpe. Games two and three of the series are on Saturday in Atlanta starting at 2 p.m.
- Men's Basketball: The Scots host Maryville on Wednesday (7 p.m.) before traveling to Methodist (Friday at 7:30 p.m.) and William Peace (Saturday at 4 p.m.) this weekend
- Women's Basketball: Covenant plays Wesleyan in the regular season home finale on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. before playing at Brevard on Friday (5:30 p.m.) and at Piedmont on Saturday (2 p.m.)
- Softball: Covenant begins the season on Friday and Saturday at Memphis, Tenn. The Lady Scots face Greenville and Rhodes once each on both days.
- Track & Field: The indoor season begins on Saturday at the Tiger Indoor Invitational
COVENANT ATHLETES OF THE WEEK:
Each week, Covenant will honor a female and male student-athlete with the Covenant Athlete of the Week. This week's honorees are Emma Grimes and Bailey Spragg. Click on the names below for full highlights of the recipients' week.
|Emma Grimes - Sr. - Basketball||Bailey Spragg - Jr. - Basketball|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here