Returning this year is Scots Weekly, a weekly publication that highlights the past week's Covenant athletic events with news, notes and more.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS:
SCOTS IN THE NEWS:
Crumly Collects Second USA South Rookie of the Week Honor
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- For a second time this season Covenant men's basketball freshman forward Will Crumly has been named USA South Rookie of the Week, as the league announced its weekly award winners for the period ending Jan. 7... FULL STORY
Covenant Student-Athletes Named to Fall 2017 Dean's List
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- Covenant College released its fall 2017 Dean's List earlier this week. Over 100 students from across Covenant's varsity and junior varsity athletic programs were recognized... FULL STORY
Joseph Franks and NBA player Mason Plumlee
A fascinating story about how Covenant student and soccer player, Joseph Franks, created a social media presence for NBA player Mason Plumlee when Plumlee was a freshman at Duke in 2009. The two connected for the first time recently and Plumlee wrote about the experience with Franks. See the full story (with a video created by Covenant student Kyle Delk) here
- Men's basketball sophomore Caleb Haynes continues to shoot at an incredible percentage. Haynes went 18-of-22 from the floor this week in two games to up his shooting percentage to 75 percent on the year. Haynes leads the USA South in the category and currently ranks second in all of Division III, just .1 percent off the leader.
- Speaking of national rankings, the men's basketball teams is now sixth in Division III in assists per game at 19.3. Covenant is second in the USA South behind Pfeiffer's 21.8 assists per game (while the Falcons score 116.9 points per contest). Individually, James Mitchell is fifth in the nation in 3-pointers made per game (4.31) and eighth in most triples made on the year (56).
- Women's basketball junior Joanna Smith continued her strong play by averaging a double-double in the Scots' three games this past week. Smith is third in the USA South in rebounding (11.5) and is one of four players in the conference averaging a double-double for the season.
For a complete list of events and links to live stats and video, if available, click here for the composite calendar
- Men's Basketball: The Scots host Piedmont on Wednesday (7:30 p.m.) before hosting currently undefeated Pfeiffer on Saturday (4 p.m.)
- Women's Basketball: Covenant plays Maryville at home on Tuesday (7 p.m.) before travelling to Berea on Friday (6 p.m.)
COVENANT ATHLETES OF THE WEEK:
Each week, Covenant will honor a female and male student-athlete with the Covenant Athlete of the Week. This week's honorees are Joanna Smith and Caleb Haynes. Click on the names below for full highlights of the recipients' week.
|Joanna Smith - Jr. - Basketball||Caleb Haynes - So. - Basketball|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here