Returning this year is Scots Weekly, a weekly publication that highlights the past week's Covenant athletic events with news, notes and more.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS:
Men 4th of 7; Women 3rd of 9 at Piedmont Invitational
- Carl Simakoff had quite the week for the men's soccer team. The sophomore from St. Louis, Mo., scored five goals, including his first career hat trick in a 6-1 win over LaGrange on Saturday. Simakoff's hat trick was the first for Covenant since Joel Friesen's on Aug. 29, 2014 against Rutgers-Newark.
- The men's soccer team scored goals in bunches over the weekend with 6-1 wins over Huntingdon and LaGrange. It is the first time the Scots have scored six or more goals in back-to-back matches since 2001 when Covenant defeated North Greenville 8-0 on Oct. 6 followed by a 6-2 win over St. Xavier on Oct. 12.
- Seven cross country runners set personal records at the Piedmont Invitational on Saturday. The women had five PRs led by Lilly Smith's 6k time of 25:07, which placed her fifth overall. Hannah Samuels, Anna Danek, Caroline Pepper and Hannah Cotton all set personal bests on the women's side as we,, while Caleb Keitt and Phil Carrenard achieved personal records on the men's side.
For a complete list of events and links to live stats and video, if available, click here for the composite calendar
- Cross Country: Covenant will compete at the Berry Viking Open on Saturday, Oct. 15 in Rome, Ga. Races begin at 9 a.m.
- Men's Golf: The Scots are in action on Monday and Tuesday at the Ted Keller Memorial in Ashland, Va.
- Men's Soccer: Covenant continues its four-match homestand against Greensboro on Friday (4 p.m.) and Ferrum on Saturday (2 p.m.).
- Women's Soccer: The Lady Scots play three home matches this week. Covenant hosts rival Maryville on Wednesday at 7 p.m., before hosting Wesleyan (Friday at 6:30 p.m.) and Agnes Scott (Saturday at 4:30 p.m.) this weekend. Saturday's contest will be Senior Day.
- Volleyball: Covenant hosts LaGrange on Wednesday at 6 p.m., and Hendrix on Thursday at 7 p.m. The Lady Scots then travel to Atlanta on Saturday for a tri-match against Rhodes (3 p.m.) and Oglethorpe (5 p.m.).
THRIVE COVENANT ATHLETES OF THE WEEK:
Each week, Covenant will honor a female and male student-athlete with the Thrive Covenant Athlete of the Week. This week's honorees are Ginny Moore and Carl Simakoff. Click on the names below for full highlights of the recipients' week.
|Ginny Moore - Jr. - Volleyball||Carl Simakoff - So. Soccer|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here