Returning this year is Scots Weekly, a weekly publication that highlights the past week's Covenant athletic events with news, notes and more.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS:
Men 7 of 10; Women 6 of 14 at UNG Invitational
Men's Tennis (1-0)
W, 7-2 vs. Milligan
Women's Tennis (1-0)
W, 7-2 vs. Milligan
SCOTS IN THE NEWS:
Two Straight: Smith Earns Runner of the Week for Second Time
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- For a second straight week, Covenant women's cross country runner Lilly Smith has been named the USA South Runner of the Week, announced the league on Monday, Sept. 12... FULL STORY
- The women's soccer team completed a 3-0 week, with two critical USA South victories. The Lady Scots posted two shutouts on the week with 1-0 wins over Birmingham Southern and Salem. The defense was also on display in a 2-1 win over Piedmont as the Lady Scots' back line of Andrea Hunt Roylston, Kaitlyn Winking, Natalie Smith and Callie Bader along wth keeper Rachel Lemay limited the opportunities for reigning USA South Player of the Year Cassidy Reich. Lizzy Hightower was a major factor offensively with both goals in the Piedmont match and an assist in the win at Birmingham Southern. Abby Gienapp had the game-winner at Birmingham Southern and Summer Bader scored the lone goal in the win over Salem.
- Carl Simakoff scored two goals on the week for the men's soccer team, including the game-winner against William Peace on Saturday. Simakoff has already surpassed his goal output from his freshman year. Josh Brower collected his first career goal in the Scots' 3-2 loss to Averett on Friday.
- The volleyball team picked up a big non-conference win over Transylvania on Friday at the Emory Invitational. Four players had at least seven kills in the match led by Allie Jakes' eight (Hannah Harris, Morgan Opgenorth and Jessica Seehorn all had seven apiece). The Lady Scots open USA South play this weekend on the road.
For a complete list of events and links to live stats and video, if available, click here for the composite calendar
- Men's Golf: The Scots open the season on Monday and Tuesday at the Piedmont Fall Invitational in Clarkesville, Ga., at The Orchard Golf & Country Club.
- Men's Soccer: Covenant travels to Rocky Mount, N.C., on Friday to take on N.C. Wesleyan at 2 p.m. The Scots then go south to Fayetteville, N.C., on Saturday to face Methodist at 2 p.m.
- Women's Soccer: The Lady Scots will also be on the road this week facing Huntingdon on Friday at 8 p.m. EDT followed by a match with LaGrange on Saturday at 6:30 p.m.
- Women's Tennis: Covenant will host Snead State on Tuesday at 6 p.m. Several players will compete individually in the ITA Regional tournament in Atlanta, Ga., on the campus of Emory University on Friday and Saturday.
- Volleyball: Conference play opens up this weekend for Covenant with matches against Methodist (Friday at 3 p.m.), William Peace (Friday at 5 p.m.), Averett (Saturday at 3 p.m.) and Greensboro (Saturday at 5 p.m.). All four matches will be at Salem College in Winston-Salem, N.C.
THRIVE COVENANT ATHLETES OF THE WEEK:
Each week, Covenant will honor a female and male student-athlete with the Thrive Covenant Athlete of the Week. This week's honorees are Lizzy Hightower and Carl Simakoff. Click on the names below for full highlights of the recipients' week.
|Lizzy Hightower - Fr. - Soccer||Carl Simakoff - So. - Soccer|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at email@example.com with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here