Returning this year is Scots Weekly, a weekly publication that highlights the past week's Covenant athletic events with news, notes and more.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS:
Women's Basketball (0-1)
L, 56-79 vs. LaGrange (USA South Tournament)
SCOTS IN THE NEWS:
Kyzer Named USA South Rookie Pitcher of the Week
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- Covenant baseball freshman pitcher Zach Kyzer has been named the USA South Rookie Pitcher of the Week, for the period ending Feb. 12, announced the conference on Monday... FULL STORY
Haynes Collects Third USA South Rookie of the Week Honor
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- Covenant men's basketball freshman Caleb Haynes has been named the USA South Rookie of the Week, for the period ending Feb. 12, announced the conference on Monday... FULL STORY
Smith, Quimby Pick Up USA South Postseason Honors
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- Covenant women's basketball sophomore Joanna Smith was named to the USA South All-West Division second team and senior Alex Quimby was the Scots' representative on the All-Sportsmanship team as the conference announced its postseason honors on Thursday... FULL STORY
USA SOUTH TOURNAMENT UPDATE:
The men's basketball team clinched a berth into the USA South Tournament with Saturday's 91-64 win over Piedmont. The Scots will be the No. 8 seed and face top-seed and host Averett in the first round on Thursday at 7 p.m. in Danville, Va.
Walk-off wins are fun, but even more fun when it is a home run! Watch Caleb Bloye's walk-off solo home run in Friday's 3-2 win over Berea.
- Caleb Bloye's walk-off solo home run in the baseball team's 3-2 win over Berea on Friday marked just the third time in modern program history that the Scots have hit a walk-off homer. The last such occasion happened on Feb. 14, 2015 when Andrew Beck hit a two-run shot against Methodist. It was also the first extra-inning walk-off home run for the program.
- The men's basketball team shot a season-high 58.2 percent in Saturday's 91-64 win over Piedmont. The win clinched a berth in the USA South Tournament for the Scots.
- Will Portlock has been on a tear over the last four games. The senior is averaging 14.8 points, 3.5 rebounds and 4.3 assists since Feb. 8 and Covenant is 3-1 during that stretch. Portlock scored a career-high 18 points in last Wednesday's loss to Maryville, then had 17 points in Saturday's win over Piedmont.
For a complete list of events and links to live stats and video, if available, click here for the composite calendar
- Baseball: The Scots travel to Oglethorpe on Wednesday for a 5 p.m. game. Covenant then opens USA South play this weekend with a three-game series at LaGrange (Friday at 5 p.m., Saturday doubleheader starting at 1 p.m.).
- Men's Basketball: The Scots open the USA South Tournament on Thursday at 7 p.m. against No. 1 seed Averett in Danville, Va.
- Golf: Covenant hosts the Reeder Cup on Friday and Saturday at the Lookout Mountain Golf Club.
- Softball: The Lady Scots host nationally-ranked Berry on Wednesday at Warner Park in Chattanooga. Game one is set for 5 p.m., with game two following.
- Men's Tennis: The Scots travel to play Millsaps on Friday (12 p.m. EST) then Rhodes (10 a.m. EST) and Hendrix (3 p.m. EST) on Saturday in Memphis, Tenn.
- Women's Tennis: Covenant travels to play Millsaps on Friday (3 p.m. EST) then Rhodes (10 a.m. EST) and Hendrix (3 p.m. EST) on Saturday in Memphis, Tenn.
THRIVE COVENANT ATHLETES OF THE WEEK:
Each week, Covenant will honor a female and male student-athlete with the Thrive Covenant Athlete of the Week. This week's honorees are Shannon Schmitt and Will Portlock. Click on the names below for full highlights of the recipients' week.
|Shannon Schmitt - Jr. - Softball||Will Portlock - Sr. - Basketball|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here