Returning this year is Scots Weekly, a weekly publication that highlights the past week's Covenant athletic events with news, notes and more.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS:
Men's Tennis (0-1)
L, 1-8 at Birmingham Southern
Women's Tennis (0-1)
L, 1-8 at Birmingham Southern
Track & Field
Men 9th; Women 7th at Tiger Indoor Invitational
SCOTS IN THE NEWS:
Cross Country Programs Named USTFCCCA Team Academic
NEW ORLEANS -- Both the Covenant men's and women's cross country programs were honored recently by the USTFCCCA (U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association) for their academic exploits... FULL STORY
USA SOUTH TOURNAMENT UPDATE:
The women's basketball team will make its first appearance in the USA South Tournament this weekend. The Scots are the No. 5 seed from the West and will face No. 4 seed LaGrange on Friday at 7 p.m. on the campus of Maryville College. The winner will face No. 1 seed Maryville on Saturday at 5 p.m. in the quarterfinals.
— Covenant Athletics (@CovenantScots) February 10, 2017
Highlights from the women's basketball team's 82-78 win over Salem on Tuesday, Feb. 7.
- The softball team is off to a 4-0 start for the second straight year and the third time in the program's history. The Lady Scots have scored 48 runs and are hitting .411 as a team, while sporting a team earned run average of just 1.40.
- Men's basketball senior Z Arima tied his career-high with 26 points in the Scots' 81-80 win at Huntingdon last Wednesday. Arima also scored 26 points earlier this season in a loss at No. 4 Whitman.
- The track and field teams got their official start on Saturday at the Tiger Indoor Invitational. Both teams fared well as the men finished ninth and the women seventh. The meet was the lone indoor one for the winter as the Scots prepare for the outdoor season which begins in March.
- Both cross country teams earned USTFCCCA Team All-Academic awards, announced the organization last week. The women's team GPA of 3.69 ranked 11th among all Division III women's programs. Both teams have earned academic honors in four straight years.
For a complete list of events and links to live stats and video, if available, click here for the composite calendar
- Baseball: The Scots travel to Oglethorpe on Wednesday for a single game at 5 p.m. Covenant then hosts Berea for a three-game series on Friday (2 p.m.) and a Saturday doubleheader (11:30 a.m.)
- Men's Basketball: The Scots travel to face Maryville on Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. Covenant will then have Senior Day on Saturday against Piedmont (2 p.m.).
- Women's Basketball: The Scots open the USA South Tournament on Friday against No. 4-seeded LaGrange at 7 p.m. in Maryville, Tenn.
- Golf: Covenant begins the spring schedule on Monday and Tuesday at the Coastal Georgia Winter Invitational in St. Simons Island, Ga.
- Softball: The Lady Scots host nationally-ranked Birmingham Southern on Tuesday for a doubleheader beginning at 1 p.m. Covenant then hosts Mount St. Joseph on Saturday starting at 12 p.m.
- Men's Tennis: The Scots host Gadsden State on Friday at 6 p.m. at The McCallie School. Covenant then plays Chattanooga on Saturday at 6 p.m. at the Racquet Club in Chattanooga, Tenn.
THRIVE COVENANT ATHLETES OF THE WEEK:
Each week, Covenant will honor a female and male student-athlete with the Thrive Covenant Athlete of the Week. This week's honorees are Aleigha Williams and Z Arima. Click on the names below for full highlights of the recipients' week.
|Aleigha Williams - Sr. - Basketball||Z Arima - Sr. - Basketball|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at email@example.com with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here