Returning this year is Scots Weekly, a weekly publication that highlights the past week's Covenant athletic events with news, notes and more.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS:
W, 16-1 vs. Rust
W, 17-5 vs. Rust
SCOTS IN THE NEWS:
Women's Tennis Picked to Win USA South West
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- The Covenant women's tennis team has been picked to win the USA South West Division by the league's head coaches in the annual preseason conference coaches' poll, released on Thursday, Feb. 2... FULL STORY
Men's Tennis Tabbed Second in USA South West Division
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- The Covenant men's tennis team received two first place votes and was picked second in the USA South West Division in the league's preseason coaches' poll which was released on Thursday, Feb. 2... FULL STORY
- Softball pitchers Carsyn Stone and Tyler Epes combined to throw a no-hitter in Covenant's 16-1 game one victory over Rust. The five-inning no-no was the sixth in program history and the first since Cori Hilt's on April 9, 2013. It also marked the second time that a Covenant team has no-hit Rust as Chelsea Krafft and Beth Harris combined for one on March 19, 2012 against the Bearcats.
- Besides pitching, the softball team also scored a bunch of runs on Saturday. The Lady Scots scored 13 runs in the third inning of game two, to set a new program record for runs in a single inning. Covenant had previously scored 12 runs in one inning against Sewanee on March 13, 2014.
- Women's basketball sophomore Joanna Smith has scored double figure points in eight straight games. Smith averaged 13.6 points on the week to help the Scots to a 2-1 record against USA South competition.
For a complete list of events and links to live stats and video, if available, click here for the composite calendar
- Baseball: The Scots host Emory & Henry this weekend for a three-game series. Game one is Friday at 2 p.m., followed by a doubleheader on Saturday starting at 12 p.m.
- Men's Basketball: The Scots travel to Montgomery, Ala., to face Huntingdon on Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. EST (5:30 p.m. CST). Covenant then hosts Averett on Saturday at 2 p.m.
- Women's Basketball: Covenant hosts Salem on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. The Scots then travel to Piedmont on Friday (6 p.m.) and Salem on Saturday (4 p.m.).
- Softball: The Lady Scots play doubleheaders at Sewanee (Thursday at 2 p.m. EST) and at Wesleyan (Saturday at 1 p.m.).
- Men's Tennis: Spring season starts on Saturday at Birmingham Southern (1 p.m. EST).
- Women's Tennis: Spring season starts on Saturday at Birmingham Southern (1 p.m. EST).
- Track & Field: Inaugural season gets underway on Saturday at the Tiger Indoor Invitational on Saturday at Sewanee.
THRIVE COVENANT ATHLETES OF THE WEEK:
Each week, Covenant will honor a female and male student-athlete with the Thrive Covenant Athlete of the Week. This week's honorees are Joanna Smith and Patjo Twagirayezu. Click on the names below for full highlights of the recipients' week.
|Joanna Smith - So - Basketball||Patjo Twagirayezu - Jr. - Basketball|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here