Returning this year is Scots Weekly, a weekly publication that highlights the past week's Covenant athletic events with news, notes and more.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS:
Women's Soccer (1-0)
W, 3-2 vs. Sewanee
SCOTS IN THE NEWS:
Smith Collects USA South Runner of the Week Honors
- Lilly Smith continued her impressive start to the season with a program-record run at the UTC PowerAde Invitational. The sophomore, who was named USA South Runner of the Week last Monday, set the program record in the two-mile with a time of 12:46.9 to place 36th overall among Division I and III runners in the event. The time was 16 seconds better than Beth Burgess' run in the 2011 Jacksonville State Opener.
- After being held scoreless through the first 135 minutes of play this season, the women's soccer team erupted for three goals in the second half of Wednesday's 3-2 win over Sewanee. Savanna Cingilli scored two goals, just four minutes apart, to give the Lady Scots the lead and Hannah King netted the game-winner later in the half. The goals were the first career scores for both Cingilli and King.
Check out some highlights of the women' soccer team's 3-2 win over Sewanee on Wednesday.
For a complete list of events and links to live stats and video, if available, click here for the composite calendar
- Cross Country: The teams will compete in the University of North Georgia Invitational on Saturday, Sept. 17. Races begin at 8:15 a.m. in Oakwood, Ga.
- Men's Soccer: The Scots will host a pair of USA South members this weekend at Scotland Yard facing Averett 9Friday at 4 p.m.) and William Peace (Saturday at 2 p.m.).
- Women's Soccer: The Lady Scots play three matches this week. Covenant will travel to Birmingham Southern on Tuesday for an 8 p.m. EDT kickoff. The Lady Scots then host Piedmont (Friday at 6:30 p.m.) and Salem (Saturday at 4:30 p.m.) at Scotland Yard.
- Men's Tennis: Covenant opens the 2016-17 season with a home match against former conference foe Milligan on Saturday at noon at the Tennis Complex.
- Women's Tennis: The Lady Scots also open the season with a home match against former conference foe Milligan on Saturday at noon at the Tennis Complex.
- Volleyball: Covenant will travel to Atlanta, Ga., to play in the Emory Invitational this weekend. The Lady Scots face Transylvania on Friday at 5 p.m., before playing Mary Washington (12 p.m.) and Wellesley (4 p.m.) on Saturday. All matches will take place at the Woodruff PE Center at Emory University.
THRIVE COVENANT ATHLETES OF THE WEEK:
Each week, Covenant will honor a female and male student-athlete with the Thrive Covenant Athlete of the Week. This week's honorees are Savanna Cingilli and Micah Sneller. Click on the names below for full highlights of the recipients' week.
|Savanna Cingilli - Sr. - Soccer||Micah Sneller - So. - Cross Country|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here