Returning this year is Scots Weekly, a weekly publication that highlights the past week's Covenant athletic events with news, notes and more.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS:
Men's Basketball (1-0)
W, 93-82 (OT) vs. LaGrange
PPD vs. Huntingdon
SCOTS IN THE NEWS:
Haynes Tabbed USA South Rookie of the Week
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- After averaging nearly a double-double in two victories last week, Covenant men's basketball freshman Caleb Haynes was named USA South Rookie of the Week, announced the league on Monday, Jan. 2... FULL STORY
Student-Athletes Earn Dean's List Honors for Fall 2016 Semester
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- Covenant College released its fall 2016 Dean's List earlier this week. Over 100 student-athletes from across Covenant's varsity and junior varsity athletic programs were recognized... FULL STORY
THE WEATHER OUTSIDE WAS FRIGHTFUL...
Lookout Mountain experienced its first snowfall of the year over the weekend and the little accumulation was enough to be the culprit in two home basketball games getting postponed. The women's basketball contest vs. Salem was postponed until Tuesday, Feb. 7, while the men's home game against Huntingdon was postponed to Thursday, Feb. 2. Both of those rescheduled games will take place at Barnes PE Center with 7:30 p.m. tip-offs.
MEN'S BASKETBALL TO TAKE OVER USA SOUTH INSTAGRAM:
The men's basketball team will take part in a USA South Instagram Takeover this weekend. The conference allows teams take over the content of the league's Instagram account for a day or two to get an inside look at teams as they travel and play league opponents. More on this story will be available later this week. USA South Release
- The women's basketball team trailed by 17 points in the third quarter of Tuesday's game at Sewanee, but the Scots outscored the host Tigers 37-13 the rest of the way to earn a 69-62 win. It was just the second time since 1990 that Covenant has won a game at Sewanee.
- The men's basketball team also needed a rally late in its 93-82 overtime win over LaGrange last Friday. The Scots trailed by eight points in the final five minutes of the game, but roared back to tie and then dominated overtime by outscoring LaGrange 16-5. It was the second straight overtime game between the programs, and the third overtime game overall in the series. Covenant is 3-0 in those games against the Panthers.
- Berto Dryden and Caleb Haynes had career-high scoring efforts in the LaGrange victory. Dryden scored 23 points, including 12-for-12 at the free throw line, with seven assists while Haynes poured in a new career-best 16 points to go with five rebounds and three assists.
For a complete list of events and links to live stats and video, if available, click here for the composite calendar
- Men's Basketball: The Scots host Maryville in a big USA South contest on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. at Barnes PE Center. Covenant then travels to Methodist (Friday at 7:30 p.m.) and Greensboro (Saturday at 4 p.m.) this weekend in conference action.
- Women's Basketball: Covenant travels to Maryville on Tuesday for a 7:30 p.m. start time. The Scots then go to LaGrange (Friday at 5:30 p.m.) and Huntingdon (Saturday at 5 p.m. EST) over the weekend.
THRIVE COVENANT ATHLETES OF THE WEEK:
Each week, Covenant will honor a female and male student-athlete with the Thrive Covenant Athlete of the Week. This week's honorees are Rachel Price and Berto Dryden. Click on the names below for full highlights of the recipients' week.
|Rachel Price - Sr. - Basketball||Berto Dryden - Jr. - Basketball|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at email@example.com with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here