Related: PHILOSOPHY OF ATHLETICS
Give: SCOTS ATHLETIC CLUB
Covenant is a member of the National Collegiate Athletic Association's (NCAA) Division III and the USA South Athletic Conference.
The mission for the Covenant College athletic department is to explore and express the preeminence of Christ in intercollegiate athletics by cultivating disciples and pursuing excellence.
The 2013-14 academic year marked the first year of full competition in NCAA Division III after a four-year transitional period from the NAIA. 2013-14 was also the first year Covenant was a member of the USA South.
Covenant fields teams at both the varsity and junior varsity levels. Varsity squads include men's and women's soccer, volleyball, men's and women's cross country, men's and women's track & field, men's and women's basketball, baseball, softball, men's golf, and men's and women's tennis. Junior varsity teams compete in men's and women's soccer, volleyball, men's and women's basketball, baseball, and softball.
On Aug. 26, 2015, Covenant announced the addition of men's and women's track and field as intercollegiate sports beginning in the 2016-17 academic year.
QUICK FACTS - GENERAL INFORMATION
Location: Lookout Mountain, Ga.
Year Founded: 1955
Colors: Royal Blue and White
Affiliation: NCAA Division III
Conference: USA South Athletic
President: Dr. J. Derek Halvorson
Faculty Athletics Representative: Rodney Miller
Director of Athletics: Tim Sceggel
Director of Athletics Phone Number: 706-419-1517
School Wesbite: www.covenant.edu
Athletic Website: https://athletics.covenant.edu
Conference Website: http://usasouth.net
2019-20 Athletics Highlights
- Men's Soccer and Men's Basketball claim USA South West Division regular season titles
- 2 All-Americans (Paul Lemay, Men's Soccer; Jesse Riggs, Men's Soccer)
- 8 All-Region selections
- 26 All-USA South performers
- 3 USA South major award winners (Will Crumly, Men's Basketball Player of the Year; Paul Lemay, Men's Soccer Goalkeeper of the Year; Scott Bosgraf, Men's Soccer Coach of the Year)
- Second in the overall USA South Presidents Cup standings through the winter sports season
- Average student-athlete GPA in the spring semester: 3.35 (NCAA-era record)
- 93 USA South All-Academic honorees (13 with distinction)
- Men's Basketball and Women's Basketball voted as USA South Team Sportsmanship Award recipients
2018-19 Athletics Highlights
- 45 All-USA South performers (most since joining the conference)
- Tied for fifth in overall USA South Presidents Cup standings
- 5 USA South major award winners (Lilly Smith, Cross Country Runner of the Year; Rachel Lemay, Women's Soccer Goalkeeper of the Year; Kailey Burrell, Women's Soccer Rookie of the Year; Neal Young, Men's Basketball Coach of the Year; Will Crumly, Men's Basketball Player of the Year)
- 1 All-American (Will Crumly, Men's Basketball)
- Volleyball and Men's Basketball won USA South West Division regular season titles
- Men's Basketball set program record for winning percentage (.667)
- Men's Golf achieved highest in-season national ranking (69th) and set a program record for season scoring average
- Average student-athlete GPA for fall semester: 3.23 (highest in NCAA era)
- 93 USA South All-Academic honorees
- Covenant won a sixth straight USA South Sportsmanship Trophy (volleyball, men's basketball, baseball, men's tennis all won Team Sportsmanship awards)
- A study from the University of Minnesota ranked Covenant in the top 6% of NCAA Division III institutions for hiring female head coaches
2017-18 Athletics Highlights
- Volleyball earns berth to NCAA Tournament and advances to second round
- Volleyball wins third straight USA South West Division regular season title and then USA South Tournament (second title in three years)
- Men's tennis sets program record for wins and claims second straight USA South West Division regular season title
- 1 All-American (Schuyler Moore, volleyball)
- 3 USA South major award winners (Katie Stanford, Women's Cross Country Coach of the Year; Lilly Smith, Women's Cross Country Runner of the Year; Caleb Aikens, Men's Cross Country Rookie of the Year)
- Men's basketball ties program record for best winning percentage and finishes runner-up in USA South Tournament
- Softball sets program record for victories
- 27 athletes earned All-USA South honors
- 76 student-athletes on the USA South All-Academic team. 11 of those had GPA above 3.90 in both fall and spring semesters and were awarded with distinction from the conference.
- Covenant finishes sixth overall in USA South Presidents Cup
- Covenant won a fifth straight USA South Sportsmanship Trophy (volleyball, men's basketball, men's tennis all won Team Sportsmanship awards)
- Scots Athletic Club, a booster club initiative for the athletic department, officially launches.
2016-17 Athletic Highlights
- Volleyball won the West Division regular season title, its second consecutive division crown.
- Men's Tennis had the most wins in a season in the history of the program and won the USA South West Division.
- Men's Tennis head coach John Hirte was named USA South Coach of the Year.
- Women's Tennis also won the USA South West Division.
- Covenant won its fourth straight USA South Sportsmanship Trophy.
- 5 teams won USA South Sportsmanship Awards (Men's Soccer, Volleyball, Men’s Basketball, Baseball, Men's Tennis).
- 122 student-athletes were named to the USA South All-Academic team, a department record.
- Track and Field had its inaugural season.
- Student Athlete Advisory Committee did some incredible work, starting student athlete led worship nights, and raising a record amount in their Pennies for a Purpose campaign leading to a financial gift to Chattanooga Sports Ministries.
- 17 student-athletes were members of an all conference team and 18 All-USA South West Division athletes.
- A student athlete was recognized as a USA South weekly award winner 20 times this year.
- Student athletes had an average GPA of 3.17 in the fall semester.
2015-16 Athletic Highlights
- Volleyball captures USA South regular season and tournament title and earns berth to NCAA Tournament
- Men's Basketball wins USA South Tournament and advances to NCAA Tournament
- Ruth Terry named USA South Woman of the Year
- Volleyball student-athlete Chelsea VanDyk named AVCA All-American
- 3 student-athletes earn USA South Tournament MVP honors (Ginny Moore, Volleyball; TJ Cox, Men's Basketball; Aly Hall, Women's Tennis)
- Men's Cross Country runner Micah Sneller is USA South individual champion
- 6 major USA South awards: Matthew Harvie, Men's Tennis Player of the Year; Joanna Smith, Women's Basketball Rookie of the Year; Micah Sneller, Men's Cross Country Rookie of the Year; John Hirte, Women's Tennis Coach of the Year; Katie Stanford, Women's Cross Country Coach of the Year; Joanna Ehman, Volleyball Coach of the Year
- 1 student-athlete voted to CoSIDA Academic All-District team
- Covenant wins USA South Sportsmanship Trophy for third straight year
- 108 student-athletes on USA South All-Academic team
- 29 All-USA South performers
- Covenant finishes fourth in the USA South Presidents Cup (highest-ever finish)
- Covenant announces the addition of Men's and Women's Track & Field as intercollegiate athletic programs
2014-15 Athletic Highlights
- Men's Soccer wins USA South Tournament and earns berth to NCAA Tournament
- Men's Cross Country wins USA South championship for second consecutive year
- Volleyball wins program record 27 matches and finishes runner-up at USA South Tournament
- 7 major USA South awards earned: Beth Burgess, Women's Cross Country Runner of the Year; Eliot Kaufmann, Men's Cross Country Runner and Rookie of the Year; Katie Stanford, Men's Cross Country Coach of the Year; Snoopy Davidson, Men's Soccer Player of the Year; John Hirte, Men's Tennis Coach of the Year; Caleb Bloye, Baseball Rookie of the Year
- Men's Cross Country runner Graham Massot is USA South individual champion
- 105 student-athletes named to USA South All-Academic team
- 3 student-athletes voted to CoSIDA Academic All-District teams
- 1 student-athlete named CoSIDA Academic All-America (Snoopy Davidson, Men's Soccer)
- 27 All-USA South performers
2013-14 Athletic Highlights
- Covenant becomes full members of NCAA Division III and the USA South Athletic Conference
- Baseball team wins USA South regular season title and earns berth to the school’s first NCAA Division III tournament
- Men’s Cross Country wins USA South championship, while Women’s Cross Country runner Beth Burgess is the USA South individual champion
- 32 All-USA South performers
- 98 students named to USA South All-Academic team
- 96 students on the spring 2014 athletic academic honor roll
- 5 students voted to CoSIDA Academic All-District teams
- 5 programs earn team academic awards through national organizations
- Covenant athletic programs win five USA South Team Sportsmanship Awards
- On-campus tennis court complex completed
2012-13 Athletic Highlights
- Baseball team makes first trip to the NCCAA World Series
- GSAC regular season champions: women's soccer, volleyball, and women's cross country
- 4 NCCAA All-Americans
- 17 All-GSAC performers
- 23 students named NCCAA Scholar-Athletes
- 82 students on athletic academic honor roll
- 2 students voted to CoSIDA Academic All-District teams