It was a big week in Covenant athletics. Get caught up with all the action with this week's edition of Scots Weekly.
Results (Oct. 20-25)
Men's Soccer (2-0)
W, 1-0 vs. Averett
W, 9-1 vs. William Peace
Women's Soccer (2-0)
W, 2-1 vs. Averett
W, 7-0 vs. William Peace
L, 2-3 vs. Piedmont
L, 0-3 vs. Meredith
W, 3-1 vs. Methodist
Men placed 20th of 21 at Chick-fil-A Collegiate
Women's golfers Maggie Mauze and Ellie Blauw competed at Chick-fil-A Collegiate (Mauze - 174; Blauw - 204)
BY THE NUMBERS:
13: The number of players recognized on Senior Day by the men's and women's soccer teams. The men's team had 10 seniors, while the women had two and one transferring junior.
8: The margin of victory for the men's soccer team over William Peace in Saturday's 9-1 romp. It was the largest margin of victory for the Scots since Sept. 1, 2009 when Covenant defeated Huntingdon 8-0. It was the most goals scored in a match since a 15-0 win over Tennessee Temple in 2007.
2: The number of triple-doubles recorded by volleyball freshman Schuyler Moore during the week. Moore had 13 kills, 30 assists and 18 digs in a five-set loss to Piedmont on Wednesday. In a four-set win over Methodist on Saturday, Moore accumulated 14 kills, 13 assists and 10 digs. She has five triple-doubles on the season.
24: Number of career goals for women's soccer senior Bethany Logan. Logan scored twice in Covenant's 7-0 win over William Peace to add to her career total. Logan has scored 20 goals, nine game-winners, over the last two seasons for the Lady Scots.
- It was a memorable Senior Day for women's soccer keeper Lucy Johnson. She recorded her sixth shutout of the season and also collected her first collegiate goal on a penalty kick in Covenant's 7-0 win over William Peace.
- Men's soccer senior Builder Brock notched his first collegiate goal in the Scots' 9-1 win over William Peace.
- Men's soccer senior David Huertas had his first career two-goal match in Saturday's 9-1 win over William Peace. Huertaas scored the first two goals of the match in a span of less than two minutes.
- Men's golf senior Nick Blauw carded a career-low 74 in the first round of the Chick-fil-A Collegiate last Monday. Blauw has set career lows in a round twice this season already.
- Men's soccer has secured a home match in the quarterfinal round of the USA South tournament. The match will be played on Saturday, but the time and opponent have yet to be determined.
- The volleyball team clinched a spot in the USA South tournament after their 3-1 win over Methodist. The Lady Scots currently hold the No. 2 seed in the South Division.
- The cross country teams were off over the weekend and are preparing for the USA South Championships this Saturday in Greensboro, N.C.
COVENANT PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
This week's Covenant Players of the Week are women's soccer senior Bethany Logan and men's soccer senior Snoopy Davidson. CLICK HERE to read their full highlights of the week.
|Bethany Logan - Sr. - Soccer||Snoopy Davidson - Sr. - Soccer|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at email@example.com with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.