It was a big week in Covenant athletics. Get caught up with all the action with this week's edition of Scots Weekly.
Results (Oct. 13-18)
Men's Soccer (1-0)
W, 4-0 vs. Huntingdon
Women's Soccer (1-0)
W, 6-0 vs. Huntingdon
L, 1-3 at Maryville
W, 3-0 at William Peace
W, 3-1 vs. N.C. Wesleyan
Men placed 11th of 22 at Berry Invitational
Women place 10th of 23 at Berry Invitational
BY THE NUMBERS:
4: The current streak of seasons with 20 or more victories for the volleyball program. The Lady Scots won twice on Saturday to move their record to 20-7 on the year, marking the fourth straight year of at least 20 wins. Before the streak started in 2011, the program had only two 20-win seasons in its history.
3: Number of triple-doubles this season by volleyball freshman Schuyler Moore. Moore tallied 14 kills, 28 assists and 12 digs in Saturday's 3-1 win over North Carolina Wesleyan. She also has triple-doubles against Birmingham Southern (Aug. 29) and Berry (Sept. 5). Before this season, Covenant had not had a player record a triple-double since 2008.
2: Number of goals scored by three Covenant soccer players in wins over Huntingdon last Wednesday. Ruth Terry and Bethany Logan each had two goals in the Lady Scots' 6-0 win over the Hawks and Snoopy Davidson notched two goals in the Scots' 4-0 win.
13: Number of cross country runners who set personal records at the Berry Invitational on Saturday. The women had seven runners (Ruthie Cargill, Abby Irwin, Grace Bodron, Jordan Francis, Alicia Zanoni, Julia Price and Sarah Jo Griffith), while the men had six (Eliot Kaufmann, John Weaks, Jack Williams, Charles Taylor, Zach Atchison and Caleb McKillop).
- Volleyball freshman Ginny Moore set a career-high with 23 kills in Saturday's 3-1 win over North Carolina Wesleyan
- Women's soccer senior Bethany Logan tied a career-best with two assists in Covenant's 6-0 win over Huntingdon. She also had two goals as noted above.
- Volleyball will play its first home match of October on Wednesday when they host USA South rival Piedmont at 6:30 p.m.
- The soccer teams will play their final two home matches of the regular season on Friday and Saturday. Saturday's matches will feature Senior Day activities for both teams.
- Cross country will be off this week before competing in the USA South championships on Nov. 1. The men are the defending conference champions, while Beth Burgess will look to repeat as the women's individual champion.
COVENANT PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
This week's Covenant Players of the Week are women's cross country freshman Abby Irwin and men's cross country freshman Eliot Kaufmann. CLICK HERE to read their full highlights of the week.
|Abby Irwin - Fr. - Cross Country||Eliot Kaufmann - Fr. - Cross Country|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at email@example.com with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.