It was a big week in Covenant athletics. Get caught up with all the action with this week's edition of Scots Weekly.
Results (Oct. 6-11)
Men's Soccer (1-1)
L, 0-1 at Methodist
W, 4-1 at N.C. Wesleyan
Women's Soccer (0-2)
L, 0-2 at #5 Emory
L, 1-3 at Methodist
Match at N.C. Wesleyan Postponed
W, 3-0 at Agnes Scott
W, 3-0 vs. Greensboro
W, 3-0 vs. Mary Baldwin
Placed 5th of 5 at The Buccaner (Christian Brothers)
Maggie Mauze (16th) and Ellie Blauw (27th) competed at The Buccaneer (Christian Brothers)
BY THE NUMBERS:
5: Number of points tallied by men's soccer senior Ian Meredith in Saturday's 4-1 win at North Carolina Wesleyan, a career-high. Meredith scored twice and added an assist in the victory. It was his first two-goal game since his freshman season.
.398: The volleyball team's hitting percentage in Saturday's 3-0 win over Mary Baldwin. It was the highest percentage in a match since Sept. 25, 2012 when Covenant hit .400 against Agnes Scott. The Lady Scots registered 44 kills, with 15 from Ginny Moore, and had only nine errors in the win on Saturday.
305: The second round team score for the men's golf team at The Buccaneer, a season best. The Scots had three players shoot in the 70s in the round led by Alan Craig's 74. Nick Blauw had a career-low 75 in the round and Scott McKnight posted a 76.
9: The current win streak for the volleyball team which matches a program record. The Lady Scots have had win streaks of six and now nine this year. Covenant will get a chance to set a new record when they travel to Maryville on Tuesday.
- Volleyball freshman Ginny Moore tied a career-high with 15 kills in Saturday's 3-0 win over Mary Baldwin.
- Nick Blauw set a career best with his 75 in the second round of The Buccaneer last Monday
- Lucy Johnson made a career-high 14 saves in Tuesday's 2-0 loss at No. 5 Emory. Johnson has made at least 13 saves in a match three times this season.
- Heading into the final two weeks of the regular season, the men's soccer team is one of two teams with one loss in USA South play (Greensboro the other). Covenant is 4-1-1 in league play, while Greensboro is 5-1. The Scots hold the tiebreaker.
- Both men's and women's soccer teams are at home on Wednesday against Huntingdon beginning at 5 p.m. with the women's match.
- Volleyball continues its long road trip with a visit to Maryville on Tuesday and a quad-match at William Peace on Saturday.
- Information on the rescheduling of the women's soccer match vs. North Carolina Wesleyan should be announced early this week. Check back for more details.
COVENANT PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
This week's Covenant Player of the Week are volleyball freshman Ginny Moore and men's soccer senior Ian Meredith. CLICK HERE to read their full highlights of the week.
|Ginny Moore - Fr. - Volleyball||Ian Meredith - Sr. - Men's Soccer|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.