It was a big week in Covenant athletics. Get caught up with all the action with this week's edition of Scots Weekly.
Results (Sept. 15-20)
Men's Soccer (2-0-1)
T, 1-1 vs. Oglethorpe
W, 2-1 (2OT) vs. Greensboro
W, 1-0 vs. Ferrum
Women's Soccer (2-0)
W, 2-0 vs. Greensboro
W, 1-0 vs. Ferrum
L, 0-3 vs. Trevecca Nazarene
L, 0-3 vs. Maryville
L, 2-3 vs. Millsaps
W, 3-0 at Oglethorpe
COVENANT RECEIVES USA SOUTH SPORTSMANSHIP AWARD
Before Saturday's men's soccer match, the USA South presented Covenant with the 2014 Sportsmanship Trophy.
USA South Associate Commissioner Mike Christie was on-hand to present the award to Covenant President Dr. J. Derek Halvorson, Director of Athletics Kyle Taylor and student-athletes from various Covenant athletic programs that earned individual team sportsmanship honors last year.
"We are deeply honored to receive this award," shared Halvorson. "It exemplifies something that is very important for our athletic program. We are grateful to be able to earn this award within the USA South as we are thankful for the competition and comradery we have with our fellow Conference members."
Last year, Covenant’s men’s soccer, women’s basketball, baseball, softball and men’s tennis teams earned individual sport sportsmanship awards as the Scots captured the Sportsmanship Trophy for the first time.
"I'm really proud of our student-athletes for exhibiting great sportsmanship," said Taylor. "We talk a lot about character at Covenant and how important that is so to be awarded with this trophy is a great honor and we are very excited about it."
BY THE NUMBERS:
2: Number of USA South victories for both the men's and women's soccer teams over the weekend. The men's team took a 2-1 victory over Greensboro on Friday before knocking off Ferrum 1-0 on Saturday. The women notched two shutouts with a 2-0 win over Greensboro and a 1-0 defeat of Ferrum. Both teams are one of four unbeaten teams in their respective standings in USA South play.
10: The number of goals scored in the second half or overtime this season by the men's soccer team. The Scots scored three goals in a second half or overtime this week as they rallied for a draw with Oglethorpe and recorded a double overtime win over Greensboro
7: Number of game-winning goals by women's soccer senior Bethany Logan over the last two seasons. Logan had five game-winners last year and already has two of them this season.
.259: The hitting percentage for the volleyball team in Saturday's 3-0 win at Oglethorpe. It was the second-highest hitting percentage in a match on the season for the Lady Scots. Christina Argaez and Chelsea VanDyk had eight kills apiece.
- A pair of soccer players notched their first collegiate scores over the week. Men's soccer sophomore Hunter Brock had the game-winner in the 104th minute to lift the Scots to a 2-1 victory over Greensboro on Friday. Also on Friday, women's soccer freshman Christy Barton recorded her first goal, an eventual game-winner, in the first half of Covenant's 2-0 win over Greensboro.
- Women's soccer registered their first shutout of the season with Friday's 2-0 win over Greensboro. The Lady Scots made it consecutive shutouts with Saturday's 1-0 victory over Ferrum
- Cross country teams were off last week. The teams will compete in the University of North Georgia Invitational this Saturday.
- Volleyball lost at home last Tuesday for the first time since October of 2013, ending a seven-match win streak. The Lady Scots host a USA South quad-match on Saturday starting at 10 a.m.
- Men's soccer hosts Berry on Tuesday at 7 p.m.
COVENANT PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
This week's Covenant Player of the Week are women's soccer senior Lucy Johnson and men's soccer junior Daniel Kubin. CLICK HERE to read their full highlights of the week.
|Lucy Johnson - Sr. -
||Daniel Kubin - Jr. -
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at email@example.com with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.