Returning this year is Scots Weekly, which takes a look at the previous week of Covenant athletics. Get caught up with stats and notes from all the teams in action.
Results (Sept. 1-6)
Men's Soccer (1-1)
L, 1-2 vs. Wilmington
W, 3-2 vs. Millsaps
Women's Soccer (2-1)
L, 0-1 vs. Sewanee
W, 2-1 at Emory & Henry
W, 5-2 vs. Marymount
W, 3-0 vs. Wesleyan
W, 3-2 vs. Berry
L, 0-3 vs. #25 Millikin
L, 0-3 at Transylvania
L, 0-3 vs. Bethany (W.V.)
Women finish 3rd at Sewanee Invitational
Men finish 5th at Sewanee Invitational
BY THE NUMBERS:
23:44: The new women's cross country program record time in the 6k. Beth Burgess broke her own school record, by 14 seconds, in the Sewanee Invitational on Saturday. In her last two 6k events dating back to last year's NCAA South Regional, Burgess has set school records. Burgess won the Sewanee Invitational for her second straight victory.
5: Number of goals scored by women's soccer sophomore Anna Porch over the weekend. After the Lady Scots were shutout in three straight matches to begin the year, they scored seven times over the weekend with five goals coming from Porch. In the process of scoring those goals, Porch had her first two-goal match (Emory & Henry) and her first collegiate hat trick (Marymount).
2: Number of triple-doubles this season for volleyball freshman Schuyler Moore. The freshman from Fort Myers, Fla., recorded her second triple-double of the year on Friday with 10 kills, 19 assists and 11 digs in a five set win over Berry. Before this year, the last Covenant player to register a triple-double was in 2008 when current head coach Joanna Ehman (then McGill) accomplished the feat against Tennessee Wesleyan.
6-0: The volleyball team's start to the season before dropping three over the weekend. The 6-0 start was the best start in program history. The Lady Scots now stand at 6-3 overall.
2-0: The deficit facing the men's soccer team entering the second half in Saturday's match against Millsaps. Covenant scored three times in the second half to take a 3-2 win over the Majors. The last time the Scots won a game after trailing 2-0 at halftime was on Sept. 21, 2012 against Greenville (3-2 OT).
- Joel Friesen recorded his first career hat trick in a 3-1 win over Rutgers-Newark on Friday, Aug. 29.
- The men's soccer team recorded victories in their first-ever meetings with Rutgers-Newark and Millsaps.
- The women's soccer team got its first win over Marymount in the schools' first-ever meeting.
- Scotland Yard turned 25 years old this past Tuesday. The Yard opened on Sept. 2, 1989 and last Tuesday's women's soccer match at home vs. Sewanee marked the 25th anniversary.
- Covenant hosted the David Taaffe Invitational over the weekend for men's soccer. Millsaps ended up with the Invitational title. The two Covenant matches drew an average of 663 fans to Scotland Yard.
COVENANT PLAYERS OF THE WEEK:
This week's Covenant Player of the Week are women's soccer sophomore Anna Porch and men's soccer senior Ian Meredith. CLICK HERE to read their full highlights of the week.
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at email@example.com with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.