LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- Saturday afternoon at 4 p.m., the Covenant men's basketball team will take on USA South rival Maryville. The game will be dubbed "Alumni Night" as Covenant alumni are encouraged to come to the game. Admission is free.
Live video will be provided once again with Tim Mahla handling play-by-play duties. Link to video
Chick-fil-A at Brainerd Village will sponsor the game and will give away free prizes throughout the contest, including chicken sandwiches to the first 25 alumni and first 25 students through the doors. The Chick-fil-A Cow will also make an appearance. At halftime, one lucky fan will have a chance to win free Chick-fil-A for a year by making a shot from halfcourt.
Also at halftime, kids of Covenant alumni will play a game and there will be a Knock-Out contest.
Additionally, head coaches Kyle Taylor and Randy Lambert (Maryville) will take part in the Coaches vs. Cancer Suits and Sneakers initiative.
Coaches vs. Cancer Suits And Sneakers™ Awareness Weekend, a collaborative initiative of the National Association of Basketball Coaches and the American Cancer Society, will take place Jan. 24-26, 2014. More than 4,000 high school and college men's basketball coaches will swap their dress shoes for sneakers with their usual game attire to show their support for the American Cancer Society's fight to save lives from cancer. Show your support by visiting www.cancer.org/suitsandsneakers to see how you can get involved.
Series History: Maryville leads 8-0 (since 2009-10 season)
Last Meeting: Jan. 30, 2013 (at Lookout Mountain, Ga.) -- Maryville 48, Covenant 47
Covenant Update: 8-10, 3-4 USA South
- Covenant has won two straight, including an overtime victory at LaGrange 98-95 on Wednesday night. Nate Frierson's layup with four seconds left in OT gave the Scots a 96-95 lead and they held on from there. Daniel Garrett had a career-high 23 points, Colton McGriff tallied 21 points and 11 rebounds, Robby Bell also had a career-high of 17 points, while Frierson added 11 points.
- The win on Wednesday was the second overtime victory of the season for Covenant. The Scots also defeated Berry in extra time on Dec. 14.
- Since his return to the team to start the semester, Garrett has averaged 10.2 points and 3.9 rebounds per game while shooting an impressive 66.7 percent from the field and 50 percent from 3-point land.
- McGriff's double-double on Wednesday was his sixth of the season. The junior is averaging 17.6 points per game, fifth best average in the USA South, and 8.1 rebounds per game which is fourth in the conference.
- Covenant is 4-4 inside Barnes Physical Education Center this season and has dropped three straight games.
- As a team, Covenant is averaging 72.4 points per game while shooting 43.4 percent from the field.
- Since these two schools began playing consistently in the 2009-10 season, Covenant has never beaten Maryville as the Scots from the North hold an 8-0 edge. In the last meeting, Maryville narrowly escaped Lookout Mountain with a 48-47 victory.
About Maryville (10-6, 6-0 USA South):
- Maryville has been on a roll as of late as they have won six straight games, all within the USA South. The Scots have not played since last Saturday (Jan. 18) when they defeated N.C. Wesleyan 72-69 on the road.
- The Scots boast the third-leading scorer and rebounder in the USA South in sophomore Jaumonee Byrd. Byrd averages 19.2 points per game and collects an average of 9.2 rebounds per contest. He has scored in double digits in every game this season and has seven double-doubles.
- Maryville is in the midst of a four-game road trip that will conclude on Wednesday at Birmingham Southern. The Scots are 3-3 away from home this season.
- Coming into this week, Maryville ranked 15th in Division III in total assists (251) and 23rd in assists per game (16.7). Point guard Christian Ford was 16th in the nation in assist-to-turnover ratio at 2.86.
- As a team, Maryville ranks third in the USA South in points per game at 80.8while shooting 44.5 percent from the field.