Returning this year is Scots Weekly, a weekly publication that highlights the past week's Covenant athletic events with news, notes and more.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS:
13th of 15 at Wynlakes Intercollegiate
SCOTS IN THE NEWS:
Bloye Named USA South Player of the Week
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- Covenant baseball junior Caleb Bloye has been named the USA South Player of the Week, for the period ending March 26, announced the conference on Monday... FULL STORY
Eddy Collects USA South Rookie of the Week Honors
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. -- Following an undefeated week in both singles and doubles play, Covenant women's tennis freshman Esther Eddy has been named the USA South Rookie of the Week, for the period ending March 26, announced the conference on Monday... FULL STORY
Harvie Ranked No. 25 Regionally by ITA
LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN -- Covenant men's tennis junior Matthew Harvie is ranked No. 25 in singles play in the Atlantic South region poll by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, as the organization announced its first spring rankings on Thursday... FULL STORY
USA SOUTH TOURNAMENT UPDATE:
- Softball will head to Montgomery, Ala., for a USA South Tournament first round series against Huntingdon starting on Friday. The best-of-3 series will feature a doubleheader on Friday with an if necessary game on Saturday. The winner advances to the six-team, double elimination portion of the tournament in LaGrange, Ga., on April 13-15. Covenant is the No. 4 seed from the West, while Huntingdon is the three-seed.
- Baseball senior Alex Kerr had quite the weekend for the Scots. The senior hit a grand slam in Friday's 9-4 win over Huntingdon, and then had a go-ahead solo home run in Saturday's 11-10 victory. Kerr had eight RBIs in the three-game series with two home runs. Kerr now leads the team with four home runs on the year.
- Men's Golf freshman Nathan Hawkins was impressive at the Wynlakes Intercollegiate last week. Hawkins finished tied for 30th in a field filled with nationally-ranked teams and shot a career best 75 in Tuesday's final round. The freshman shot a 152 (77-75), also a career-best, for the tournament.
- Tennis had its Senior Day on Saturday. Claire Luger and Gracie Smith were honored on the women's side, while Connor Shimmel was recognized from the men's team. Luger and Smith are tied atop the program's all-time career doubles wins leaderboard with 47, while Smith is the record holder in singles victories with 49.
- The softball team split a doubleheader at Piedmont on Saturday to close out the regular season. The 1-0 victory in game one marked the first time the Lady Scots had beaten Piedmont since 2009. Carsyn Stone tossed a complete-game shutout in Saturday's win, while allowing just three hits and striking out six.
For a complete list of events and links to live stats and video, if available, click here for the composite calendar
- Baseball: The Scots travel to play Berry on Tuesday at 4 p.m., before heading to Piedmont for a three-game series this weekend (Friday at 7 p.m., Saturday DH starting at 2 p.m.).
- Men's Golf: Covenant had the first round of its Scots vs. Scots Event rained out on Monday, but will play one round against Maryville on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m.
- Softball: Covenant opens the USA South Tournament on Friday with a doubleheader at Huntingdon (2 p.m. EDT) in the best-of-3 series. If necessary game is set for Saturday at 1 p.m. EDT.
- Men's Tennis: The Scots host Maryville on Wednesday at 4 p.m., then travel to Huntingdon on Friday (3 p.m.) and LaGrange on Saturday (12 p.m.).
- Women's Tennis: The Lady Scots host Maryville on Wednesday at 4 p.m., then travel to Huntingdon on Friday (3 p.m.) and LaGrange on Saturday (12 p.m.).
THRIVE COVENANT ATHLETES OF THE WEEK:
Each week, Covenant will honor a female and male student-athlete with the Thrive Covenant Athlete of the Week. This week's honorees are Carsyn Stone and Alex Kerr. Click on the names below for full highlights of the recipients' week.
|Carsyn Stone - So. - Softball||Alex Kerr - Sr. - Baseball|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at email@example.com with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here