Returning this year is Scots Weekly, a weekly publication that highlights the past week's Covenant athletic events with news, notes and more.
LAST WEEK'S RESULTS:
W, 9-2 vs. Agnes Scott
W, 14-6 vs. Agnes Scott
L, 1-10 vs. Maryville
L, 1-3 vs. Maryville
W, 8-1 vs. NC Wesleyan
W, 6-5 vs. NC Wesleyan
L, 1-9 vs. William Peace
W, 6-5 vs. William Peace
Track & Field
Men 33rd; Women 35th at Emory Invitational
HIGHLIGHT OF THE WEEK:
The softball team picked up a crucial doubleheader sweep of North Carolina Wesleyan on Friday. Jordan Brett crushed a go-ahead three-run homer in the sixth inning to give Covenant a 4-1 lead. Watch below.
- The baseball team won both games of its doubleheader against No. 1-ranked Emory on Saturday. The wins marked the first time any Covenant program has defeated a top-ranked team in the NCAA era. The Scots have won three straight games against Emory at home.
- Alex Kerr hit home runs in both games on Saturday and is the second player this season to hit homers in consecutive games. Caleb Bloye achieved the same feat in a doubleheader sweep of Berea on Feb. 17. Kerr's homers on Saturday marked the 16th time in program history a player has hit a roundtripper in back-to-back games.
- The softball team upped its conference record to 9-5 overall with a 5-3 week. The nine wins broke a program record for most conference wins in a single season.
- Track and Field sophomore Micah Sneller had quite the weekend for the Scots at the Emory Invitational. Sneller ran his first collegiate 10k on Friday and finished in a time of 34:48.76, and then on Saturday he ran the 1500 in 4:33.15 before setting a personal record in the 5000 meter event at 16:27.70.
For a complete list of events and links to live stats and video, if available, click here for the composite calendar
- Baseball: The Scots host Oglethorpe on Tuesday at 3 p.m. before heading to Cary, N.C., to face William Peace in a three-game series on Friday (3 p.m.) and Saturday (1 p.m. DH).
- Softball: Covenant hosts Centre for a non-conference doubleheader on Wednesday (2 p.m.) and then head to play Mary Baldwin (Friday at 2 p.m.) and Ferrum (Saturday at 1 p.m.) over the weekend.
- Men's Tennis: Covenant hosts Piedmont on Tuesday at 3:30 p.m. and then takes on Huntingdon (11 a.m.) and Berry (5:30 p.m.) at home on Saturday.
- Women's Tennis: The Lady Scots host Agnes Scott on Friday (4 p.m.) before playing host to Wesleyan (2 p.m.) and Berry (5:30 p.m.) on Saturday.
- Track & Field: The teams head to Montevallo on Friday and Saturday to compete in the Falcon Classic.
THRIVE COVENANT ATHLETES OF THE WEEK:
Each week, Covenant will honor a female and male student-athlete with the Thrive Covenant Athlete of the Week. This week's honorees are Madyson Gibbins and Joel Johnson. Click on the names below for full highlights of the recipients' week.
|Madyson Gibbins - Fr. - Softball||Joel Johnson - Jr. - Baseball|
See something missing? Have an idea to improve this column? Shoot us an email at email@example.com with suggestions of what you would like to see covered in this weekly section.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTS
Be sure to follow the Scots all season long on athletics.covenant.edu and on social media at Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for up-to-date scores, news and other information. To receive text alerts with score updates or e-newsletters, click here